Overwintering Pots?

mikomum(2b)September 3, 2010

I have the most beautiful large pots of false dracena and silver licorice vine this year. I generally overwinter my large dracena and some geraniums in my studio (kept at about 15 degrees most of the winter but it does have short bursts of heat when I run my kiln)Would I be able to overwinter these as well? I really don't want to take up the space if their chances aren't good or they die right back. Thanks so much for any advice!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario

I've overwintered the licorice last winter and it turned out okay. It's going strong now and i'll bring it in again.

Bookmark   September 3, 2010 at 8:55PM
mikomum(2b)

thanks so much! Hopefully we don't get frost for a few more weeks so I can keep enjoying them!

Bookmark   September 4, 2010 at 12:23AM
Sherwood Botsford(3a)

I know with my dahlias I water them lightly and put them in the crawl space under the kitchen. It stays down about 5-10 degrees there. Last year, I carefully cleaned and bagged each one. This year, I think I will just put the whole pot down there, with a thick layer of wood chips on it ito keep it from drying out.

The problem with many plants is to run that edge between 'do I keep it growing all winter' and 'do I force it into dormancy' The former means it will start up faster in the spring. The latter is needed for some plants, and generaly requires less care.

As an idea for you, build some shelves for them in the studio so you can keep them out of the way.

Bookmark   September 10, 2010 at 7:00PM
wrobelfamily

Hi, I'm new here. I love gardening. I live in Langdon, AB. I have a question, I just purchased 3 fall shrubs ( viburnum opulus roseum, viburnum dentatum arrowwood, and forsythia ) I have plan to plant them in the backyard which still under construction ( build the fence and still half way done ) so, for now until next spring I have to place them in the temporary flower bed, what is the best thing to do ? can I overwinter shrubs on container ? Can I just bury the whole container with its plant until next spring ? Help me please , thanks so much . Ina

Here is a link that might be useful: Family Adventure

Bookmark   September 29, 2010 at 3:40PM
marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario

Yes, bury the whole container. I've done this with many things and always had them survive.

Bookmark   October 15, 2010 at 9:01PM
More Discussions
dieffenbachia flowering
Hello there. My dieffenbachia is about five years old...
Winnie12
Shrub Recommendations/Photos for Zone 2-3
Having recently moved to an acreage in Grande Prairie...
Leandra7
Calling Idaho Gardeners! Help!
I'm working on a book which takes place in central...
HollyKline
Blueberries for zone 3??
I am looking for zone 3 blueberry varieties to grow. Preferably...
rosebacopa2
False Sunflower
I am always impressed with the knowledge on this site,...
dawny2u2
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™