New to the area

Linda_NWartist(8)July 13, 2012

Hubby and I, with our little energy ball Devyn, just moved here from Mississippi gulf coast. LOVE IT LOVE IT LOVE IT!!! No matter how long or dreary the winters may be (or so we've heard) it doesn't hold a candle to the humid, stinky, sweltering pestilence-overloaded coast. Good riddance hurricanes! Katrina dumped saltwater all over what gardens we had left.

We live on Camano Island, WA and would love to know more about what grows well here. Clematis, so we've seen... Japanese red maples, bearded irises~ all the flora we love so far.

I'm a roser, love my David Austins. Does anyone know how well they do here?

Thanks for any advice/replies. I appreciate your time.

Hope your day is a good one,

Linda

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jclepine(8b)

Welcome! We just got here too, Oregon coast from Colorado rockies. Nice not to constantly be surrounded by fires!

I've no idea what works where you are but it could be a good idea to make a list of what you love and bring it to the local nursery. Although, just because they sell it doesn't mean it does well! Sometimes, they can be very helpful sharing info on what will work best.

Have fun!

Jennifer

Bookmark   July 13, 2012 at 9:32PM
Embothrium(USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA)

If you are interested in roses go to this place.

Here is a link that might be useful: Christianson's Nursery - Roses

Bookmark   July 13, 2012 at 11:41PM
Linda_NWartist(8)

Wonderful, thanks Jennifer. Good idea. I learned that things that are sold at nurseries may not do well in MS, lol! Fuschia hated hot, humid southern weather. I'm glad you're away from fires, too. Nothing like natural catastrophes to make you appreciate moving vans, huh?

bboy, thanks for the link. I will go there now... hiding credit card from myself ;)

Bookmark   July 13, 2012 at 11:53PM
Embothrium(USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA)

By this late in the season they do not have anywhere near the full list given on the web site, of course, but you may find something of interest anyway. They get them in and pot them up at the end of winter, start offering and selling them as soon as they are potted.

Bookmark   July 14, 2012 at 2:54PM
Merilia(8 PNW)

About David Austins... our climate is similar enough to England's that pretty much the same plants will do well for us. I only grow a few Austins (Jude the Obscure, Heritage, Munstead Wood, Lilian Austin) but they all do great for me.

Bookmark   July 16, 2012 at 3:43PM
oliveoyl3

Linda,
I posted some links on the other new transplant post that might be of interest to you.

Also, go to the exchange link at the top of this page & you'll find out about the free plant swaps. The next one is in Olympia Sept. 15 and in Redmond on November 3. You won't find David Austin roses there, but you will find a lot of other plants you'll enjoy that grow well here.

Welcome ~
Corrine

Bookmark   July 17, 2012 at 12:07PM
More Discussions
Aspirin and fig rust
Recently, I visited my brother in Thailand and he has...
winsorw
Question re: NW Garden show
We are planning to go to the NW Garden show for the...
dottyinduncan
Re:Anyone growing citrus in PNW
Hi everyone, I have an indoor tangerine plant for 4-5...
sweetflowers
Anyone "wintersowing" tomatoes in the PNW?
I wintersow/spring sow everything else and have for...
nonconformist_nymphette
Raised Beds/seed starts
We have 2 raised beds we put in last year in our front...
FireMidget
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™