worms in monarda

capecodder(z6 MA)July 4, 2010

Hi,

Both my Jacob Kline and Raspberry Wine mondarda, both blooming beautifully, have some kind of white worm in the flowers. It isn't in every flower, thank goodness. I don't spray, so have been killing them right on the flower. Any idea what this is? Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
diggingthedirt

Any chance of a photo? It's most certainly not a worm, but a caterpillar, and, if it's not doing a lot of damage, it might even be something you would not want to kill.

People plant butterfly gardens all the time, and then go around massacring the caterpillars that would have turned into butterflies. Go figure!

If a photo is out of the realm of possibility, can you give us a more detailed description - length, width, skin texture, any markings.

Bookmark   July 6, 2010 at 2:56PM
capecodder(z6 MA)

About 1/2 inch long, white. I really try not to slaughter the caterpillars, but am suspicious about this one!They are in the flowers, not eating the leaves.

Bookmark   July 6, 2010 at 8:09PM
capecodder(z6 MA)

I read on the Perennials forum that they are horsemint caterpillars. Not desirable, I think. On the topic of caterpillars, this year I was delighted to find monarch cats on the fennel I planted years ago for their enjoyment.

Bookmark   July 11, 2013 at 10:24AM
capecodder(z6 MA)

Meant to write they are about 1/2 inch long or less, white and skinny. If I could figure out how to post a pic from my iPad, I would!

Bookmark   July 11, 2013 at 10:25AM
ctlady_gw(z6 CT)

I suspect capecodder's fennel-loving caterpillars are black or anise swallowtails, not monarchs. I believe monarch caterpillars will ONLY eat milkweed (in fact, can only survive on milkweed), whereas the very, VERY similar looking black swallowtail caterpillars will eat fennel, dill, parsley, Queen AnneâÂÂs lace, and parsnips. Both are wonderful to have, but unless you have milkweed, you will not have monarchs.

Bookmark   July 11, 2013 at 10:34AM
capecodder(z6 MA)

Thank you, CT lady. I think you are right. I do have milkweed right next to the fennel but I don't think I've ever had any monarch cats. I'm happy to have swallowtails too.

Bookmark   July 11, 2013 at 4:34PM
More Discussions
2015 Camellia Show at Tower Hill Botanic Garden
http://www.towerhillbg.org/index.php?cID=410 This weekend,...
claireplymouth z6b coastal MA
Bristol County Conservation District 2014 Plant Sale
Now is the time the Massachusetts County Conservation...
edlincoln
Spray-N-Grow Product any good?
Anyone use or success/failures with the Spry-N-Grow...
NorthHadley
Birds and other mobile features in the garden 2015 #3
This thread is intended to give people a place to post...
claireplymouth z6b coastal MA
when do your daffodils bloom?
When do your daffodils bloom? I can't wait for them...
daffodil33
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™