Plants for silty soil

maplecat(8)July 14, 2010

I am in the middle of clearing ground for a new garden, which, of course, won't be planted until cooler, mid-end Sept weather. I live on the plataeu by Enumclaw, and my soil seems to be pretty good, probably from a combination of old horse pasture and glacial plane. The thing is, in certain spots the soil changes to a really fine textured, almost silky stuff. I think this is described as silt, but am not sure about this. It does seem to hold moisture and drain well. Full sun. I was thinking about planting yarrow (Paprika) and Sea Holly, mainly because that is what I have (plenty, in pots). Are there better perennial flowery type plants that will work? I tend to like the bigger things, 3 to 5 feet. I can amend with compost and chopped leaves if necessary, but this seems like the type of soil that you can amend until the cows come home and barely change the composition. Thanks for any suggestions, ps I am a looooong time reader, but I don't post much. :)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Embothrium(USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA)

What was growing on it beforehand might hint at what would like to be planted there. If it gets damp (puddly) in winter yarrow and sea holly might not like that.

Bookmark   July 15, 2010 at 1:35AM
maplecat(8)

mostly buttercups and running grass. I don't think there is standing water in the winter, but it is where the snow melts last. Now that I think about it, it may be too damp in the winter for my choices. Back to plant searching. Thanks for the reply, what not to plant is sometimes more important than what to plant. I appreciate the help. MC

if this message appears twice, please excuse, my browser seems wonky this morning.

Bookmark   July 15, 2010 at 2:16PM
Embothrium(USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA)

Creeping buttercup likes raw, clay-like soils with good levels of nitrogen. Might indicate those are good spots for other perennials adapted to damp ground. You might be able to do very well with certain tall, showy kinds like you enjoy. Look at discussions of waterside plants, moisture gardening, bog gardens etc.

Bookmark   July 15, 2010 at 9:06PM
PRO
George Three LLC

what about changing the grade here and there, focus the moisture?

Bookmark   July 16, 2010 at 10:34AM
More Discussions
Re:Anyone growing citrus in PNW
Hi everyone, I have an indoor tangerine plant for 4-5...
sweetflowers
Camelia question.
We have a camelia ten years old - looked great in the...
dwightgibb
Crape Myrtles in PNW - trick to get them to bloom?
I have three Crape Myrtles I planted that have been...
wynswrld98
Growing Loquats in the PNW
I am posting this forum as I have not found a thread...
chitti
Anyone growing Tiger Eye Sumac?
Rhus typhina ÂBailtigerÂ. I'm thinking that this...
dottyinduncan
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™