Tingling Weed

brian_ouimet(5 Ont)October 7, 2005

Hi

Was picking weeds yesterday and one of them left my fingers tingling with pins and needles. Still a little of the same feeling today. Does anyone know the name of this weed. Thanks.

Brian

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
abgardeneer(Z3, Calgary)

Stinging nettle, most likely.

Bookmark   October 7, 2005 at 9:51AM
brendall(z5 que)

Thats it and I keep picking it up without gloves on.It takes a few hours before the tingling stops. Pain in the neck lol.
bren

Bookmark   October 8, 2005 at 11:37PM
mountain_curmudgeon(4a)

Stinging nettle has long been attributed with medicinal properties and can be made into teas or used in other ways.
Here's a page with receipes including Nettle Wine.

Here is a link that might be useful: Nettle info

Bookmark   October 9, 2005 at 2:33AM
jeannette2814

Stinging Nettles are a favorite part of my spring rituals!I go to great lengths to find and gather stinging nettle, not only to dry for tea and hair rinse, but also to blanch and freeze for winter greens. Loses it's sting when dried and/or cooked, have a wonderful robust texture and spincah/like flavor. They are loaded with vitamins & iron!! Try them with a little balsamic vinegar. I bet they will become one of your favorite vegetables!

Of course you need to wear gloves to pick them, use the new shoots, up to 6" tall or just the top new leaves of slightly older plants. If you do get stung, the nettle plant itself is the antidote. Scrunch up several leaves and rub on the sting, it will soon ease. Natives here in Alaska traditionally used stinging nettle to ease the pain of arthritis. There is an ancient abandoned Tklinget Indian village about a 20 minute skiff ride from me in Southeast Alaska that has about a 3 acre spot near the beach that is thick with nettles. That is where I go to gather them, I imagine they were planted there on purpose because they are rather scarce otherwise in my area. Wherever you find them growing you'll find really fertile soil. If you want to grow your own, the roots transplant easily - but grow them in containers or they'll become invasive.

You didn't ask for all that, but you got it! (:

Bookmark   January 29, 2006 at 7:36PM
alaskafree

I am in kake Alaska (southeast). I have been trying to get hold of some fresh stinging nettles.I read above someone collected some before. could you please let me know this vicinity. I would very much appreciate it.

Bookmark   June 25, 2013 at 2:18AM
More Discussions
Shrub Recommendations/Photos for Zone 2-3
Having recently moved to an acreage in Grande Prairie...
Leandra7
Calling Idaho Gardeners! Help!
I'm working on a book which takes place in central...
HollyKline
suggestions for buying online clematis
I am looking for Canadian sites to search/buy clematis...
bloomorelse
Blueberries for zone 3??
I am looking for zone 3 blueberry varieties to grow. Preferably...
rosebacopa2
Watch Scorpion Season 1 Episode 20 Online
~HQ!>~Watch Scorpion Season 1 Episode 20 Online~![1080HD]!~ ~HQ!>~Watch...
Ricky Dawnson
Sponsored Products
Spider Web Lantern
$8.99 | zulily
'My Spidey Sense Is Tingling' 16-Oz. Tumbler
$11.99 | zulily
Rich Leatherette Lounge
| Dot & Bo
Skin-Smart Tea Chest - BROWN
$45.00 | Horchow
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™