Question about Barberry

Dream_of_Columbines(z5 NH)October 1, 2005

I have a Barberry bush. I believe it is just a Common Barberry but I'm not sure since it was here when we bought the house. Does anyone know if there is something I can do to it to make it produce more berries. I only seem to get about three berries on it! I believe it is self pollinating so it seems like it must be lacking something.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
glen3a(Winnipeg MB 3A)

Hi "Dream", I sort of answered your question under the Maples in MB posting, but I thought I would reply here as well.

I am sorry but I am not sure. I know that though some plants are supposedly "self-pollinating" they do benefit from having another plant to cross pollinate with. But, that can't be another tree of the exact same variety.
I think my sour cherry tree is like this. It's supposedly self fertile but produces loads of blooms and very few cherries each year. I feel if I had another cherry tree to cross-pollinate with it, it might produce loads of cherries.

As for barberry, I am not sure. I have the cherry bomb variety. It looked neat in spring with it's greenish/yellow blooms contrasting with the purple foliage, but didn't produce any berries at all. But, since my barberry is a hybrid cultivar, it could be that they don't produce berries as reliably.

Glen

Bookmark   October 3, 2005 at 4:06PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Dream_of_Columbines(z5 NH)

Hi Glen,

I do have another Barberry that I bought a few years ago. It seems to be exactly the same and has never produced any berries. So are you suggesting I buy a different type of Barberry? Thanks.

Bonnie

Bookmark   October 3, 2005 at 9:15PM
More Discussions
dieffenbachia flowering
Hello there. My dieffenbachia is about five years old...
Winnie12
Elderberries Eaten
Every year I lose most my elderberries to something....
dawny2u2
Something is eating my Basil
This was hapenning in my previous garden. I would bring...
magan
24 / 24 - light / darkness and more
Hi All, Summary: Can flowering tropical plants survive...
ejohnchat
False Sunflower
I am always impressed with the knowledge on this site,...
dawny2u2
Sponsored Products
Americh Brisa 6644 Tub (66" x 44" x 22")
Modern Bathroom
Americh Wright 6634 Tub (66" x 34" x 22")
Modern Bathroom
Nelson | Pear Lamp
$329.00 | YLighting
Gelato Amber Fusion Jack Mini Pendant
$167.04 | Bellacor
Frey Ceiling Fan by Kichler
$478.00 | Lumens
Fire Burst Media Stand
$199.99 | Dot & Bo
Modern Fan Company | Velo Ceiling Fan
$384.00 | YLighting
61" Berne Double Vanity - Cherry