Edith Bogue Southern Magnolia

motownnjOctober 2, 2006

I am planning on planting this plant and I am wondering if I need to plant it right next to my house, or if it will be ok about 15ft away. THe location is between a frosythia and a dogwood, so its not completely exposed, but certainly not as sheltered as being next to a building. My house/street is blocked by a large hill on the north and west, so we dont get too windy here to being with. Anyone have any thoughts on if this needs the protection of being near a building?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
runktrun(z7a MA)

Planting Edith up against your home might work for now but considering her eventual size you might soon regret it. My biggest gardening challenge is damaging winter winds so I now Wilt Pruf (anti-dessicant) all of my broad leaf evergreens including Edith with great success. kt

Bookmark   October 3, 2006 at 4:09AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sue_concannon_netzero_com

I have 3 Edith Bogue magnolias. They bloomed the first year that we planted them but have not bloomed since. We've had them for three years. They are planted in fairly acidic soil in full sun. Each is 6 to 7 feet high. Is there something I am not providing them or is this normal?

Bookmark   May 31, 2011 at 10:33AM
More Discussions
Something killing my million bells!
They were flourishing and beautiful. Now there's some...
JJcanuck
Need to buy a red leaf dwarf japanese maple asap
I need to know if it's possible and where I can order...
goudanuf4u
Upper Michigan Gardening
I am looking for help from anyone who lives in upper...
MTZone4
help lilacs near garden
Hi, I am planning to do a lilac hedgerow north side...
Meuhey
Horsetail
I have a major infestation of horsetail in one of my...
AshtonGardener
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™