digging tiger lily bulbs

appletreasure(zn 3)October 23, 2006

I need to take out some of the lily bulbs. They are still blooming great just crowding everthing around them.

Could I take a 'scoop' of bulbs from the middle and edges and the bulbs will fill in the empty spots over a few years or do I really need to dig the whole bed and replant?

Also, one of the spots I would like to plant some of the bulbs isn't ready yet. Could I take some bulbs, put them into a container with soil in it, 'plant it' and then in the spring dig it up and plant where I want it?

Thank you

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Laurie_z3_MB(sw MB)

I would say, "yes" to both counts. Lilies are really tough. I also have some lily bulbs planted in pots and they are sunk into the ground for the winter. I've done this with lots of perennials and it ususally works fine.

Laurie

Bookmark   October 26, 2006 at 4:29PM
appletreasure(zn 3)

Laurie, thank you, now another question. I pushed the weather a bit too long and sure enough it turned cold -10 and we have 6-8 inches of snow.
Hmmm, I just noticed temp in celcius and depth in standard, only in Canada eh.
Not only did I not get the bulbls moved I didn't get the new ones planted, should I dig through the frost and plant anyway?
If they are not planted they will go soggy or ???
There is a small chance the weather will warm up again for a few days but I see from your zone you know all about this
weather game we play.
Any thoughts?
PS one more thing we have in common I'm Laurie also.

Bookmark   October 30, 2006 at 7:22PM
Laurie_z3_MB(sw MB)

"If they are not planted they will go soggy or ???"

Laurie, from my understanding, lily bulbs can't be stored over winter. They need to form roots to keep the bulb healthy. Yes, zone 3, I hear ya! We just got 3-4" of snow yesterday, and the highs for the rest of the week are supposed to be below freezing. I'm not sure if these are good conditions to plant lily bulbs out now. If you are expecting to get a warm spell for awhile, then maybe they'd be ok planted out. This really hasn't been a warm fall, has it?

How many bulbs do you have? Here's an idea that might work for you. It was told to me by a local nursery owner about forcing tulips, but the same theory can hold for lilies. He said for tulip bulbs, to plant them up in pots of soil and then put them in a cool place(10-15C) for a couple of weeks to let the roots develop. Then put them in a colder place(I use a spare fridge) for the duration of their dormant period. I would do this with the lilies, and just keep them in the fridge until early spring. I've had excellent results with keeping oriental lilies in the fridge like this over winter, as they're borderline hardy here. So if you only have a few bulbs and have a second fridge, or know someone who does, then this could be an option. If you have 50 bulbs, well, then, I'm outta ideas!LOL

Good Luck,
Laurie

Bookmark   October 31, 2006 at 9:49AM
appletreasure(zn 3)

Good info Laurie, thank you.

Would the same apply to Daffys and grape hyacinth? I have a few of those to plant also.

Laurie

Bookmark   November 1, 2006 at 6:59PM
Laurie_z3_MB(sw MB)

I'd give the daffs and hyacinths the same treatment too, as it's too late to plant them outside now. You could bring them out a month before Easter and have a wonderful show!

Bookmark   November 3, 2006 at 9:33AM
jroot(5A Ont. Canada (near Guelph))

You can plant your daffs and tulips etc. in a large pot and keep it in the garage. Each winter I plant some into a 20 inch pot and throw the occasional pile of snow onto it during the winter just to keep it moist. They provide a good show early in the spring, often when the others are barely starting to wake up.

Bookmark   November 6, 2006 at 7:33PM
Laurie_z3_MB(sw MB)

As long as the garage is insulated that could work. But if it isn't, here in zone 3, when it gets to -40 in the garage, the bulbs don't seem to care much for freezing solid. ;^)

Bookmark   November 7, 2006 at 9:49AM
More Discussions
DESPERATELY Seekig Bakeapple/Cloudberry
Hello, I do not live in Canada; please forgive my forum...
Robin282
Tree for Montana
I am interested in what kind of a ornamental tree would...
merrygardener
suggestions for buying online clematis
I am looking for Canadian sites to search/buy clematis...
bloomorelse
Rhubarb seed
I am looking for seed or plants of the ornamental Atrosanguinium/Atorpurporeum...
Garlicking
yellow magnoila tree
I have a small five year old yellow magnolia that I...
diane_v_44
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™