overwintering strawberries and grapevine

kerrymt(z4 MT)October 8, 2006

I also posted on the Rocky Mountains forum.

I have a huge raised bed of strawberries, and have read to put a heavy layer of straw over the top of the plants to winter them over. Is that all there is to it - just layer straw on top? Anything else I should do? Should I wrap black plastic around the raised bed to help hold in heat?

Also have a grape vine in a wine barrel and not sure what to do with it. It's a Valiant grape but I know it wont' make it through the winter?

Any help would be GREAT!

Thank you!

Kerry

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
glen3a(Winnipeg MB 3A)

Kerry,

Valiant grape normally should be hardy in your zone, but I guess the problem is because it's growing in a pot above ground, the roots might get too cold.

I have a few plants in similar situations and for winter I just dig a hole in the garden or a flower bed, sink the pot in the ground up to the rim (hopefully it's not too heavy to handle) and then fill in around the pot with loose soil, trying to leave no air pockets. If the vine is growing up a trellis you might have to carefully take down first.

It might not hurt to mulch with leaves or straw and then when it snows to mound snow over that as well.

This will be my first winter with my valiant grape. Mine is growing in the ground so I may just remove from the trellis and lay on the ground, so it can benefit from snowcover.

Glen

Bookmark   October 14, 2006 at 12:56PM
More Discussions
Hansa Rose Shrub
I have just recently found this shrub, which is a Hansa...
Sweety2002
DESPERATELY Seekig Bakeapple/Cloudberry
Hello, I do not live in Canada; please forgive my forum...
Robin282
Calling Idaho Gardeners! Help!
I'm working on a book which takes place in central...
HollyKline
help lilacs near garden
Hi, I am planning to do a lilac hedgerow north side...
Meuhey
suggestions for buying online clematis
I am looking for Canadian sites to search/buy clematis...
bloomorelse
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™