What is happening to my daisies?

Planter91July 14, 2014

Plants overall look pretty good, but lately the flowers look like they are being eaten and the yellow center is turning brown.

Also, there are a few leaves that have turned brown, but nothing too serious yet, although it does look like more of the leaves may be starting to turn brown.

I seen a beetle on the yellow center today. Took picture, but it came out very fuzzy. See picture here.

Some of the flowers are missing half of their petals and do not look good at all.

Have seen some small flies on them. I looked for Aphids but I cannot tell. I heard you can spray a steady stream of water to knock them off.

I don't know if this is a disease or pests. Any home made solutions for diseases? Would Dawn dish washing soap and water do it?

Any home made solutions for pests?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
diggerdee zone 6 CT

What you are seeing is the bane of my gardening existence. It is an oriental beetle, I'm pretty sure (photo is blurry) and they absolutely decimate my daisies, to the point where I may take them all out. Not to be confused with asiatic beetles. Your daisy actually looks pristine compared to most of mine. I'm not sure if they are eating/bothering your foliage as well, but the bloom damage is probably from them.

If there is something to be done about them, I don't know what it is yet, unfortunately. They also love daylilies, but don't do quite as much damage, IMO, probably because the bloom is only there for a day anyway. They also like to get stuck in your hair so you can find them there an hour after you are in the house. Yuck, I hate these things!

Dee

Bookmark   July 14, 2014 at 11:06PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mjc_molie(z6 CT)

That's what I thought there were, Dee. Found some in my garden... ugh. What to do? I hate them, too.

Molie

Bookmark   July 15, 2014 at 11:16AM
More Discussions
Open Gardens for 2015
I got a brochure in the mail from the Garden Conservancy...
NHBabs
unheated greenhouse
Hi All!!! I live in Central Mass., my wonderful kids...
Sami56
Splayed boxwoods
The heavy snow took a tool on my boxwoods. The branches...
mrowe63
UMass Extension Landscape Message March 27, 2015
UMass Extension Landscape Message #2 - 2015 The Landscape...
claireplymouth z6b coastal MA
NH Spring Plant Swap
NH Plant Swap on Sunday June 5th is only 4 weeks away...
annie_nh
Sponsored Products
Kichler Everly Bronze 13.75" Glass Pendant
Lamps Plus
Florence Style Loft Leather Sofa in White
$999.00 | LexMod
HBCombo12 Kit HBLED Undercab 12 inch combo kit
EnvironmentalLights.com
Prichard modern sectional sofa
Interior Define
Stella Chandelier
| Italy Design