Pitfalls of extra rainy period?

shapiro(5a Ontario)November 19, 2006

Here near Ottawa we have had an extremely rainy fall. Many weeks have gone by without a single sunny day. (It's depressing!) I know that usually gardeners are concerned about not enough rain in the fall, but are there drawbacks to too much rain in the fall? For instance, could this have a bad effect on certain perennials, such as irises and the like, that like to be fairly high and dry?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sharont(z5 can)

Very good question, shapiro! The last 2 days have been sunny & actually warm enough to do a bit of digging (through an inch of frozen soil in some areas!). I am surprised that the soil is not as saturated as I thought it would be.
Moved some iris tubers(?) to a different spot & saw next years sprouts coming along & in good shape. But I am wondering about lavender and some heuchera in this wet fall weather. The ground has gotten cold enough to stop most growth & like you, I hope most most perennials will stay suspended & not suffer root rot next week when the temperatures are reported to be in high single digits to low double digits! Celcius temperatures, that is.

Bookmark   November 24, 2006 at 1:24AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
subtropix

Prolonged wettness and humidity during the growing season lead to problems with mold and powdery white mildews. My peonies developed this in the fall just from the humidity. The other big problem with excessive rains is the SLUG population increases and they love to munch on leaves. I plant herbs like lavender, oregano and rosemary in raised beds only. Most of these herbs come from drier mediterranean climates and have a particular problem with prolonged rain (or even humidity).

Bookmark   December 16, 2006 at 8:48AM
More Discussions
delphiniums
Can someone tell me where the best place in Canada...
marricgardens
24 / 24 - light / darkness and more
Hi All, Summary: Can flowering tropical plants survive...
ejohnchat
Overwintering Tree form lavender
My inlaws gave my wife a lavender 'tree' for mother's...
Sherwood Botsford
Horsetail
I have a major infestation of horsetail in one of my...
AshtonGardener
dieffenbachia flowering
Hello there. My dieffenbachia is about five years old...
Winnie12
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™