Fruit flies on indoor gardenia tree

KCamilliNovember 8, 2013

I seem to have fruit flies in my house ever since I brought my gardenia tree indoors for winter. Can anyone confirm that this happens? Also, what should I do about it? What should I spray?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
SouthCountryGuy Zone 4b-5 SE BC(Zone 4b-5 SE BC Canada)

Once you get fruit flies they are hard to get rid of. I have never totally eradicated them. Lots of great advice on the internet I'd google it....I find the old fly tapes catch piles..

Good luck

SCG

Bookmark   November 13, 2013 at 11:24PM
drew51 SE MI Z5b/6a

They are probably fungus gnats not fruit flies.No matter what they are you can use mosquito dunk bits (they sell these) to get rid of them. Exactly how to use them though is unclear. many methods are suggested,
The Mosquito Dunks product contains Bacillus thuringiensis israelensis (BTI for short).

Bookmark   December 10, 2013 at 7:09AM
dowlinggram

You have fungus gnats not fruit flies. Fungus gnats are easy to get rid of. The gnats only appear to mate ,lay eggs and die. They spend most of their lives under the soil. First as eggs and then as larvae eating debris in the soil and plant roots. Get rid of the eggs and larvae and the gnats soon disappear.

To get rid of the eggs and larvae mix a 1/2 teaspoon of insecticidal soap or dish soap in a quart of warm water and water the plant. do the same to any other plants you have in the house. Fungus gnats aren't particular where they lay their eggs and other plants will be infected too.The soap won't hurt the plant but it will kill fungus gnat eggs and larvae

Bookmark   December 30, 2013 at 12:03PM
More Discussions
Black walnut tree
Hi, I am having a blackwalnut tree cut down, and the...
joy4so
dieffenbachia flowering
Hello there. My dieffenbachia is about five years old...
Winnie12
Upper Michigan Gardening
I am looking for help from anyone who lives in upper...
MTZone4
overwintering potted trees & seedlings
I have a lot of small volunteer trees from bad spots...
thelonerider1
Something killing my million bells!
They were flourishing and beautiful. Now there's some...
JJcanuck
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™