Septic and blackberries

cath923November 16, 2013

We are unfortunately having to have our whole septic system replaced within the next two weeks. I have moved masses of perennials but still have a row of beautiful blackberries growing a couple of feet from the side of the new drain field, which is totally eliminating my vegetable beds. My reading suggests that is not a good plant to have there so I feel I need to move them as well. Winter has not yet set in but temperatures are getting closer to freezing. Should I attempt to dig them up now or should I wait? Or should I leave the plants and layer them to start new and then remove them completely once I have replacements? Or just leave them alone?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
don555(3a)

Well, what did you do? I would have left them until spring, then dug and moved them, realizing that I was probably going to be sacrificing a year's production.

Bookmark   April 6, 2014 at 1:46AM
cath923

I have decided to leave them alone and let them recover from the "root pruning" they received! I think they'll be fine and are low enough down the bed that I don't think they will be a problem as long as I remove any shoots in the wrong place. There is enough work to be done to repair the damage over the rest of the yard!
Thanks for asking,

Bookmark   April 13, 2014 at 10:05PM
northwoodswis4

In 2009 I planted blueberries over our new drainfield, as they have shallow roots, so shouldn't interfere with the septic functioning. So far, so good. Northwoodswis

Bookmark   May 28, 2014 at 5:27PM
More Discussions
yellow magnolia tree
Is it to late to move a small magnolia tree that is...
diane_v_44
Horsetail
I have a major infestation of horsetail in one of my...
AshtonGardener
dieffenbachia flowering
Hello there. My dieffenbachia is about five years old...
Winnie12
False Sunflower
I am always impressed with the knowledge on this site,...
dawny2u2
suggestions for buying online clematis
I am looking for Canadian sites to search/buy clematis...
bloomorelse
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™