Over wintering Inaba Shidare Japanese Maple

pirhanNovember 12, 2010

Hi there,

I got a free Inaba Shidare maple. It was pretty bare with wet soil, but it had new growth on both sides of the graph. (So the Inaba Shidare side and the root stock side.) I live in Ottawa and we have a pretty cold winter, and these maples are tender here.

So, with the new growth and harsh winter, the fact it's tiny (about a foot tall) and I'm moving and want to take it with me, so I potted in a new pot with new soil* and put it in the house. I snipped the root side leaves off.

And then all leaves dried up and fell off. And the stem is quite withered looking, like it has wrinkles. Have watered it, but still a bit wrinkly.

What did I do wrong and how can I correct this? I have a summersweet, flowering almond and a buddleja overwintering in the garage. Should my Inaba cozy in with them?

Thanks in advance!

* New soil was homemade - sifted sheep compost, koir (peat substitute), perlite, sprinkle of greensand and a pinch of Mykes (mycorhizae).

* My house is stupidly dry. I need to use eye *gel* in the winter to keep my eyes moist. We do have a home humidifier and it's set at 45, not sure how accurate it is...

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tsugajunkie z5 SE WI

They are not houseplants and need to be outside. I've had one outside for about 3 years now and it has seen -17F (-22C).

tj

Bookmark   November 15, 2010 at 6:36PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rouge21_gw(5)

Just curious pirhan as to what became of your "Inaba Shidare"?

Has it survived your Ottawa winters?

Any current pictures of it?

Bookmark   July 5, 2013 at 3:47PM
More Discussions
do you know what plant this is?
I saw this in the woods. What is it please?
Barb.ADK8
dieffenbachia flowering
Hello there. My dieffenbachia is about five years old...
Winnie12
delphiniums
Can someone tell me where the best place in Canada...
marricgardens
False Sunflower
I am always impressed with the knowledge on this site,...
dawny2u2
Tree for Montana
I am interested in what kind of a ornamental tree would...
merrygardener
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™