ID Portland Oregon freeway roses: pictures

pdxlights(usda 8)July 13, 2008

I finally went out and took photos of the glorious roses growing along Hwy 405. What could they be? Here they are at the following site: http://www.flickr.com/photos/28566127@N07/?saved=1

I hope this worked as they are apparently too large to upload directly into gardenweb.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
devorah(z8WA)

I am by no means an expert, but in Washington they mostly use grootendorst roses along the highways. I have grown them myself and I believe that the roses in your pictures are pink grootendorst and grootendorst supreme (red).

Bookmark   July 16, 2008 at 1:58AM
Embothrium(USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA)

I see mostly non-Grootendorst rugosa roses. Some sections also have R. multiflora. In the Willamette Valley, where there appears to have been a lot more of it planted in the median it seems to have seeded out from there into adjacent farmland. In other parts of the country it is such a pest that a hypervirulent form of rose rosette disease was cultured and let loose to clear the multiflora rose out of forestlands. This disease is now infesting and spoiling garden roses over an increasing area.

Bookmark   July 17, 2008 at 12:11AM
reg_pnw7(WA 7, sunset 4)

Frankly in WA I have never seen Grootendorst roses along the freeways. What WSDOT plants is seedling rugosas, Rosa rugosa. Cherry red, dark pink, and white, all large single flowers. They dont' plant named varieties usually. Sometimes I see R. nootkana or R. pisocarpa.

I don't know what those roses are in your photos. I do know they're not Rosa rugosa, and they're not Grootendorst. Grootendorsts have small, carnation-like flowers.

Your DOT dept may be able to tell you what they are. Or ask the Portland Rose Society.

Bookmark   July 19, 2008 at 1:52PM
Embothrium(USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA)

If you put your URL in the Optional Link URL slot provided here I may know what roses are in your pictures. Cutting and pasting (into Google) URLs typed out in the Message parts of posts doesn't work for me.

Bookmark   July 19, 2008 at 2:25PM
pdxlights(usda 8)

Bboy, I have pasted the URL in the "Optional URL link". I hope this works, as I would like to know what you think. As you can see the roses are not single. Thanks

Here is a link that might be useful: Freeway Roses Portland

Bookmark   July 21, 2008 at 8:41AM
devorah(z8WA)

Once again I have been displaying my ignorance in public. I like to shop the Lawyer nursury sale on Memorial Day Weekend and I thought they had a lot of grootendorsts left from their sale to Wash.dot

Bookmark   July 22, 2008 at 8:04PM
pcrllo_saw_net

Don't know if you ever found the answer but I believe this link answers your question. http://www.oregonlive.com/hg/index.ssf/2009/08/toughbutpretty_freeway_roses_p.html

Bookmark   April 20, 2011 at 12:42PM
PRO
George Three LLC

uh, bboy try pasting the address into the address bar instead of searching google with an address. although, pasting the address into a google search, you get the link as the first hit.

Bookmark   April 20, 2011 at 7:03PM
More Discussions
Shade-loving vine for Portland, OR
I recently moved into a house that doesn't have much...
bburan13
Portland Yard Garden & Patio Show
Did anyone here ever attend that show and could give...
enith
Fertilizing flower bulbs (e.g., Daffodils)
I was listening to Ciscoe Morris' gardening radio show...
wynswrld98
OK to plant garlic in February in Portland, OR?
Would it make sense to plant garlic in February in...
LanaRoma
what to do here?
Thinking of planting native shrubs, salal, redtwig...
zephyrgal
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™