Moving to Wyoming!

dryad58(z4/5/ CO)December 31, 2004

Hello there!

I'm moving to wyoming from california, and i'm sure it's going to be quite a different gardening experience. I'd love to hear stories of amazing gardens in that area of the country, or tips for growing things there... I know that's pretty general, but i've never lived in a place where it got too cold to grow plants! Thanks for replying

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jenny_in_se_pa(USDA7 Sunset 32)

You may want to try asking on the Rocky Mountain Forum since Wyoming is just north of Colorado and a number of folks from Colorado post there (which might draw out the few Wyoming posters that I've seen on occassion).

Bookmark   December 31, 2004 at 9:15AM
twrosz

Dryad58, despite moving to a rather cooler climate you'll still have ever so MUCH plant material to choose from! Heck, even here in the far north of zone 3 there's LOTS to be grown! OKAY, we're indeed limited as compared to warmer zone gardeners ... though, just the same our gardens overflow with all sorts of trees, shrubs and perennials!

Terry

Bookmark   January 7, 2005 at 7:21PM
mlark(z4 WY)

Welcome to Wyoming - - it's a great place to live! You are right...it will be a big difference, but it doesn't take long to find beautiful plants that thrive here. Neighbors are friendly and always happy to share their ideas on what has worked for them. It is much drier that you are used to (obviously) Depending on what part of the state you are moving to, the wind can blow (and blow and blow) and that makes a challenge too. My biggest problem is the tendency to plant things way too soon. I get the bug about this time of year and it's hard to wait till the last frost is past. Last year I lost quite a few new plants, so I will be patient this year. What area of the state will you be moving to?

Bookmark   February 25, 2005 at 2:55PM
gypsysunrise

I grew up in Wyoming (Casper) - center of the state. (moved to Virginia) And yeah... lol Not much grows in that area, without a LOT of help atleast! lol You are lucky to get grass to grow. I know black eyed Susans grow well, as do petunia, marigolds..

You may have better luck at it than me, though. Best of luck, and hope you like it in Wyoming! =)

Here is a link that might be useful: PhotoBlog

Bookmark   September 29, 2008 at 9:15PM
More Discussions
Watch Scorpion Season 1 Episode 20 Online
~HQ!>~Watch Scorpion Season 1 Episode 20 Online~![1080HD]!~ ~HQ!>~Watch...
Ricky Dawnson
Need to buy a red leaf dwarf japanese maple asap
I need to know if it's possible and where I can order...
goudanuf4u
~HQ!>~W-atch 2 Broke Girls Season 4 Episode 16 O-nline~![1080HD]!~
~HQ!>~Watch 2 Broke Girls Season 4 Episode 16 Online~![1080HD]!~ ~HQ!>~Watch...
Ricky Dawnson
overwintering potted trees & seedlings
I have a lot of small volunteer trees from bad spots...
thelonerider1
Raspberries
Hi Northern Gardeners, I want to plant one of my sunniest...
eatsivy
Sponsored Products
Ebb Vinyl Lounge Chair in White
$300.00 | LexMod
Ecleste Bookcase Room Divider - MAR-080BLK
$155.69 | Hayneedle
Campania International On The Lookout Garden Statue - S-422-AL
$184.99 | Hayneedle
AF Lighting 8680-4H Naples 4-Light Mini Chandelier- Dark Purple - 8681-4H
$138.00 | Hayneedle
Italian Flag Cornhole Set with Bags - ITALIAN FLAG RED/ROYAL
$180.96 | Hayneedle