Fence company recommendation?

pixie_louJuly 12, 2014

I've had it with the deer and the groundhog. So far they are winning the battle with my vegetable garden. But I am determined to win the war! I'm going to fence in the garden. After figuring out I need 150-160' of fencing, I've also decided this is NOT a DIY project. So does anybody have a recommendation for a fence company?

I want utilitarian, but still pretty. I'm thinking picket lined with chicken wire. It's in the backyard, so not really visible from the street, or the neighbors. But I still have to look at it! It will be extremely visible when I sit out on the patio. And I really don't want to spend a lot of money.

I'm Boston MetroWest - Rt 128 and the Pike.

TIA.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Thyme2dig NH Zone 5

PL, I think with deer the fence needs to be at least seven feet high or so. Otherwise they'll jump it. I also thought groundhogs would dig under, so fencing needed to be dug down so they won't get in. I have a picket fence and the woodchuck mocks it. Deer tend not to jump it because it's close to the house and there's plenty of good eats elsewhere in the yard that doesn't require physical labor! LOL!

Good luck with whatever you do! Both animals are hard to co-exist with in a garden. Sigh.....if they wouldn't be such pigs.........

Bookmark   July 13, 2014 at 12:06AM
lalala

I am in MetroWest not far from you. McDonough and Fensu were both good options when we looked at fences. Reliable is another one I've seen a lot, though they didn't offer our type of fence so we didn't get a quote from them. I don't recommend Walpole because their quote was three times the price of the other quotes (they may not have wanted our small job).

Our friends have a deer fence: it's a regular height, attractive fence with tall, thin wooden posts installed behind the normal posts (painted dark green so they're not so noticeable). Then wire is strung between the tall posts. It looks good and the deer learned fast.

Bookmark   July 14, 2014 at 1:15PM
pixie_lou

I ended up using Bulldog and Sons out of Framingham. Bruce was great - he patiently listened to my pretty ideas, patiently looked at my pretty pictures on the internet. Then politely explained how pretty my ideas were, but how they weren't going to do a darn thing about keeping the animals out of my garden.

So I ended up with utilitarian. Black mini mesh, buried 6" into the ground.

Bookmark   July 31, 2014 at 9:46AM
spedigrees z4VT

Your fence looks very pretty to me, Pixie. My concept of beauty includes utility, and I wish I had as nice looking a fence for my dogs.

I hope this keeps the critters from unauthorized snacking! It should work for the groundhogs, but I think you might need something twice that tall to keep the deer out.

Bookmark   July 31, 2014 at 12:02PM
prairiemoon2 z6 MA

Sorry, just noticed you had your fencing done already.

This post was edited by prairiemoon2 on Thu, Jul 31, 14 at 12:06

Bookmark   July 31, 2014 at 12:02PM
prairiemoon2 z6 MA

I had a second photo of fencing I was going to suggestâ¦but I see it's not needed now. :-) Your fencing looks very nice Pixie Lou! Hope it takes care of the problem you were having with the critters!

This post was edited by prairiemoon2 on Thu, Jul 31, 14 at 12:08

Bookmark   July 31, 2014 at 12:04PM
pixie_lou

Thanks Sped. I actually think it looks quite nice as well.

Bookmark   July 31, 2014 at 10:20PM
Cathie3078(6b MA)

I had a fence installed in April by Perfection Fence and was very pleased from start to finish.

Here is a link that might be useful: Perfection Fence

Bookmark   August 8, 2014 at 9:18AM
More Discussions
Hummingbird Spring Migration 2015
I've been checking regularly and finally today there...
claireplymouth z6b coastal MA
Show Us Your Gardens - A Photo Thread -February 2015
Happy Snow Days New England Gardeners! Welcome to the...
pixie_lou
Something to brighten up this horrible winter
I was in Palm Springs a couple of weeks ago. Maybe...
bill_ri_z6b
Winter weather in the kitchen - 2015 edition
This is the official thread to talk about (complain?)...
pixie_lou
when do your daffodils bloom?
When do your daffodils bloom? I can't wait for them...
daffodil33
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™