Love it when flowers do this

deanna_in_nh(5a/4b)July 5, 2012

One of my favorite things is when flowers from neighboring plants intermingle. Just love it! One of my goals when I plan layout is to get more of my flowers to do this. This is ox-eye daisy and Dyer's Chamomile (Anthemis tinctoria).

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
claireplymouth z6b coastal MA

What a nice combination! I can see it as a fabric design - now that would be a garden hat I'd be happy to wear.

Claire

Bookmark   July 5, 2012 at 6:04PM
NHBabs(4b-5aNH)

Lovely combination! Is the Anthemis hardy for you? Is it short-lived or is it a long-term part of the garden?

Bookmark   July 5, 2012 at 11:28PM
prairiemoon2 z6 MA

Very pretty! I was surprised that our Anthemis didn't come back this year after no snow cover last year.

Bookmark   July 6, 2012 at 6:17AM
diggingthedirt

Very nice! It can be hard to get them to do that without one plant stomping over the other, so sometimes these lovely 'woven' combinations only last one season. That makes them all the more interesting - next year, maybe a different one will spring up somewhere else in the garden.

I use drumstick allium this way quite a bit; even though it can be a pest (mainly because you can't tell if it's onion grass, or an actual flower, until it blooms!) to add interest to plants that flower as a mass of color.

Bookmark   July 6, 2012 at 9:17AM
corunum z6 CT(6)

What a lovely, happy picture. Glad that happened for you. I think I only have weeds that do that.

Bookmark   July 6, 2012 at 9:17AM
spedigrees z4VT

That's such a perfect combination, and I, too, would love to wear a garden hat or shirt printed with that design! (I never realized there were domestic versions of chamomile. The wild version grows profusely on the hill behind our house, and often I pick it, along with wild mint, to make herbal tea. I should try this pretty yellow version and see if it does as well as the wild chamomile.)

Bookmark   July 6, 2012 at 2:34PM
deanna_in_nh(5a/4b)

Spedigrees, Dyer's chamomile did just that in the old days--it dyed things. Not great for drinking! Also called Golden Marguerite.

It is indeed a short-lived perennial, but a pretty profuse reseeder. My original plants were planted in 2010. They flowered the very first year, were beautiful, and came back in 2011. Didn't make it this year, but I have lots of babies popping around. You can see these reseeded plants here. It doesn't make a big bush on its own. My original "bush" was actually multiple plants from wintersowing. I weeded out all the seedlings around it because I didn't realize it wouldn't last, so now there's a hole in that spot. Because it has more of an upright character it does fit well in the "cracks" of the garden where it reseeds. It's also easy to pull out. No root runners, only lots of seeds. I really like it's cheery nature. And, usually the center button is very wide with shorter petals, which is an interesting variation on the standard daisy.

I have little to no bark mulch on my garden this year. That probably has encouraged its reseeding. Don't know how it would do with lots of mulch as far as propagation goes. But, it's so easy to catch some seeds at the end of the season and WS them in a jug. I plant even a kindergartner could grow well!

Bookmark   July 7, 2012 at 11:49AM
More Discussions
when do your daffodils bloom?
When do your daffodils bloom? I can't wait for them...
daffodil33
Is your past content on GW missing?
Yesterday, I went looking for my old comments, to see...
prairiemoon2 z6 MA
2015 Seeds & Plants on Sale, Locally? Online Catalog Sales?
I am starting a new sale thread for 2015 so it will...
NHBabs
Seeds & Plants on Sale, Locally? Online Catalog Sales?
Finally starting to feel like the growing season is...
prairiemoon2 z6 MA
How to change houzz background
I just saw this on another forum: http://forums2.gardenweb.com/discussions/2854079/installing-stylish-to-change-houzz-background#14392444 It...
claireplymouth z6b coastal MA
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™