will the real Empress Wu please stand up

almosthookedSeptember 15, 2012

just kidding! Myrle superimposed it in my new bed and waiting for my other plants to arrive.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
almosthooked

Actually ... this is mine but I can dream can"t I?? Someday I hope

Bookmark   September 15, 2012 at 11:37PM
Moccasin(z9aMobileAL)

That Myrle is getting good with Photoshop. Ask her if I send a small plantaginea photo could she make it a big one? Big HOSTA, not big PHOTO.

Your young Emplress Wu has big dreams of dwarfing those huge rocks or boulders already. She knows she can do it. Be sure to take her school picture every year spring and fall so we can all tell how she is growing up.

And you know, it was a lot easier to keep track of the growth of individual hosta when I started this spring. Now I find quite a few hosta that I've overlooked documenting.
I try not to play favorites, but perhaps I'm becoming Old Mother Hubbard who lived in a shoe with so many children she did not know what to do.

Bookmark   September 15, 2012 at 11:44PM
bernd ny zone5

I planted mine in April 2010 as a 2 to 3 eye plant and now it has 8 eyes and measures 63W x 36T inches. It will grow fast. Here is mine standing up earlier in spring, still growing. Bernd

Bookmark   September 16, 2012 at 7:44AM
Moccasin(z9aMobileAL)

Gorgeous looking hosta, Bernd. Fine example of what she can do.

Bookmark   September 16, 2012 at 11:02AM
almosthooked

Bernd, I ove it! It sure looks healthy . Mine looks kind of silly way out in the center but I didn't want to have to replant it later. I may have to put in something temporarily behind it for now.

Bookmark   September 16, 2012 at 11:30AM
bernd ny zone5

It needs some shade and regular water, I also fertilize my hostas. It has no holes of any kind right now, leaves are still perfect, so you will have little trouble with it per my experience. Bernd

Bookmark   September 16, 2012 at 6:46PM
hostaLes(5)

I hope mine looks like that bernd. Right now it is still in a pot for the winter until spring planting time.

Les

Bookmark   September 17, 2012 at 8:20AM
hostaholic2 z 4, MN

Mine has been a slug magnet and cutworms or something chomped part way through petioles. It looks plain ugly. I will try to find a new spot for it next spring, if none available it will go to any taker..

Bookmark   September 17, 2012 at 11:14PM
Jon

The Empress planted in mid-May as an advanced TC.

Some nibbling, but The Empress seems to be getting firmly established with new growth and reaching 18 inches or so across. I expect she will be holding court next Spring.

Jon

Bookmark   September 18, 2012 at 9:57AM
mmarnold

Here Is mine also a few nibbles.Its only been in ground since early august.

Bookmark   September 18, 2012 at 12:44PM
Moccasin(z9aMobileAL)

John, those links did not work for me. Can you simply put your pictures in the post? I'm fighting a computer problem here, and cannot take many chances of iffy links.

Thanks.

Bookmark   September 18, 2012 at 12:52PM
Jon

Mocassin,

The photos are in the post. One did not come up for me. I right clicked on the box that showed up and then clicked on "show photo"

Here are the photobucket, copy and paste, links.

http://s591.photobucket.com/albums/ss351/jonnyb023/?action=view&current=DSC_0167.jpg

http://s591.photobucket.com/albums/ss351/jonnyb023/Winding%20down/?action=view&current=DSC_0454.jpg

Jon

Bookmark   September 18, 2012 at 1:28PM
bernd ny zone5

Jon, the first link got only some sky with stars, second one had a hosta. Bernd

Bookmark   September 18, 2012 at 1:55PM
Jon

Bernd,

Sky with stars is a background on Photobucket. I have no problem getting both photos pop up today.

Jon

Bookmark   September 19, 2012 at 2:49PM
Gesila(MI Z5)

You won't recognize your Wu in a couple of years. Here's mine this spring. I planted this one in the fall of 2010, so she's about 2 and 1/2 years old here:

Gesila

Bookmark   September 19, 2012 at 4:10PM
Moccasin(z9aMobileAL)

....Gesila, your Wu has another full season of growth behind her since that picture. Has she started going dormant yet? She sure is looking grown up there.

Not having a shaded spot where I can plant such a massive hosta, I'm wondering if I can get one of those crooked-post patio umbrellas like 11 foot diameter to shade such a hosta and go ahead and pop one in the ground. So much work still to do, and my source of pine bark seems to have gone missing.

Stalled, but never stopped.

Bookmark   September 19, 2012 at 5:38PM
Jon

Gesila, I sure hope it will look as nice as yours. It is perfect looking.

Moccasin, I can't get one of those 7 foot umbrellas on my deck to last more than 3 years and they spend the winter in my cellar. I would opt for a pergola. (???)

Jon

Bookmark   September 19, 2012 at 6:22PM
hostahillbilly(4)

This one gits at least 6-7 hours of direct mid-day sunlight in mid-season:

Foto taken 28 May this year, so it's noticeable bigger now. You may judge it's size in reference to the standard size garden tag in front of it.

fwiw,
hh

Bookmark   September 19, 2012 at 11:29PM
almosthooked

All your photos of her are so georgious and not really a long time to grow so big. I am hoping I have enough shade too but HH said it gets midday sun and looks great so with lots of water and my house and large rocks it should be well protected. Exciting to see such progress

Bookmark   September 20, 2012 at 12:39PM
bernd ny zone5

It would be so nice though to have a blue streaked and corrugated Wu with piecrust... I bet some hybridizers are working on that right now.

Bookmark   September 20, 2012 at 3:54PM
More Discussions
is there a bacon forum .....?????
if there is.. i should have looked .. lol if there...
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
potted hostas starting too early
Hi. I usually have my potted hostas in the garage (no...
esikko
NH hostas here
Doesn't look like much but in a month it will. Excited...
ilovetogrow z9 Jax Florida
Here's how to enter your zone on Houzz
I noticed that my zone didn't show up since the move...
santamiller
Better then 'June'
When making out your order list, you might want to...
DelawareDonna Zone 7A
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™