Bulbophylum medusae

Greencurls(Z5)January 27, 2013

Not the most pleasant smell but very noticeable either.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
inga007(Ont. 6a)

You grow the most interesting orchids.

Bookmark   January 28, 2013 at 9:56AM
marklucas

Hi Greencurls. YouâÂÂre growing an interesting species there, a âÂÂBulbophyllum medusaeâÂÂ. Can you tell us more about your growing tips and techniques, which you used to grow this orchid?

Bookmark   February 28, 2013 at 5:23AM
Greencurls(Z5)

Happy to share. In the winter, I have it in a room that drops to 55F at night and gets up to 74F during the day. I maintain about 45-50% humidity in the room. Since it gets a bit chilly in my grow room, I keep my bulbo a little drier than is generally recommended. I don't let the moss get overly dry before watering but I do wait to water until the top inch of the moss is crunchy. As for the light, my bulbo sits in a lower light area about a foot away from a west window. It is very close to my Phals, but gets a little more light. It summers outside under a large shade tree. In the summer, I keep the medium slightly moist at all times. I also fertilize about once a week. This winter I have been holding off on fertilizing because my bulbo has pretty much stopped growing this last month. Although it is doing okay with the current temperature, I believe it would be happier if it was kept 5-10 degrees warmer.

Bookmark   February 28, 2013 at 10:29AM
More Discussions
Ascda. Yeo Geck Bee
A frequent bloomer and photogenic.
shavedmonkey (Harvey in South Fl.)Z10b
Fredclarkeara After Dark 'Sunet Valley Orchids'
This is the first time this orchid has bloomed for...
Darlene (GreenCurls)
Vanda Mellow Days
I bought this plant from Martin Motes in 1998. I have...
shavedmonkey (Harvey in South Fl.)Z10b
stampstudio2015
Pahiopedilum Storm Center
This is probably my favorite complex paphiopedilum...
Darlene (GreenCurls)
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™