An Amazing Flower - picture

dottyinduncan(z8b coastal BC)August 27, 2009

I saw this Hibiscus at a neighbour's home -- the flowers are dinnerplate size and a show stopping colour. She tells me that they bought the plant last year, it overwintered just fine and is absolutely huge with these wonderful flowers. Any idea what it is? I want one of course...

Here is a link that might be useful:

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gardengal48

Looks like Hibiscus 'Fireball'. I've seen it available now and again at area nurseries.....or one can do mail order :-)

Here is a link that might be useful: Hibiscus 'Fireball'

Bookmark   August 27, 2009 at 9:16AM
dottyinduncan(z8b coastal BC)

That's it! The nursery calls it a true showstopper and it's true. My pic doesn't do it justice -- it is loaded with flowers and they are at least a foot across. I didn't know that hibiscus would overwinter here. Thanks Gardengal.

Bookmark   August 27, 2009 at 12:29PM
gardengal48

You're welcome, Dotty :-) There's quite a few hardy hibiscus, several species of which are native to various parts of this country, and a good number of hybrids like 'Fireball', most which behave like herbaceous perennials here. And then there's Rose of Sharon, Hibiscus syriacus, which is a very hardy (zone 5) shrub form. But not native :-)

Bookmark   August 27, 2009 at 1:43PM
aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada

Dotty, WOW, what a beauty. Let me know if you find anyone up our way carrying it. I might have to shovel prune something to fit it in but you know what they say, when there's a will, there's a way :o).

Annette

Bookmark   August 27, 2009 at 2:07PM

Gardengal, can I propagate Fireball? The owner said that they "hacked it back" to fit their border...I could sneak in at night and steal a cutting. Or ask them, that might be easier.

Bookmark   August 27, 2009 at 3:56PM
Embothrium(USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA)

Divided foliage indicates H. coccineus involvement. If you find something about vegetative propagation of that species, same methods might work for this.

Bookmark   August 27, 2009 at 7:34PM
gardengal48

Since it is patented, that is technically a no-no :-) I didn't say this but it should strike from softwood cuttings. And ask first....no need to compound the crime!

Bookmark   August 27, 2009 at 7:48PM
dawiff(z7 WA)

Oh, that is stunning! Looks like it has interesting foliage too.

Bookmark   August 30, 2009 at 3:21PM

Yes, it has dark foliage which set the flowers off beautifully. Funny, I spoke to a friend yesterday who lives near this flower, and she had the same reaction as me -- almost drove off the road looking at the flower! It's a stunner.

Bookmark   August 31, 2009 at 10:40AM
More Discussions
evergreens for by gate
I have a couple of Columnar Dwarf Siberian Dogwood...
hallerlake
Fertilizing flower bulbs (e.g., Daffodils)
I was listening to Ciscoe Morris' gardening radio show...
wynswrld98
what to do here?
Thinking of planting native shrubs, salal, redtwig...
zephyrgal
Garrya elliptica won't flower
I am in zone 8 and have had a Garrya elliptica growing...
julieotoole
Is it time to prune?
With the warm winter we are having, everything seems...
duncandotty
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™