The greatest general of the 20th century was...

tobr24u(z6 RI)April 3, 2014

Giap! You might think of Eisenhower, Zhukov, or Montgomery but according to one military historian it was Giap. General Giap fought off the Japanese, the French and us, and he did it with no formal military training and limited materials. So, I reluctantly salute him and I know that you will, too,..

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
labrea_gw

He united Viet Nam threw out their colonial masters so they could make sneakers!
Kursk Zhukov hands down!

Bookmark   April 3, 2014 at 5:41AM
tobr24u(z6 RI)

I would never have thought of Giap until reading "Victory at any Cost" by Cecil B. Curley. He makes a persuasive case for Giap that made me realize how most of my thinking is from a Western viewpoint...

Bookmark   April 3, 2014 at 6:29AM
pnbrown

Thanks for the book tip.

Bookmark   April 3, 2014 at 6:43AM
christopherh(SoVT)

Eisenhower. He saved Europe from Hitler's madness.

Bookmark   April 3, 2014 at 6:46AM
tobr24u(z6 RI)

Ike immediately comes to mind but I still think it is from the way we look at the world from a Western viewpoint...

Bookmark   April 3, 2014 at 7:05AM
christopherh(SoVT)

Saving Europe was a far greater achievement.

Bookmark   April 3, 2014 at 7:07AM
tobr24u(z6 RI)

Ike had tremendous material and manpower advantages that Giap never had...

Bookmark   April 3, 2014 at 7:19AM
labrea_gw

Kursk was 1943 D Day wasn't till 44! While Overlord was important Germany was already being dismantled in the east Kursk & Kharkov,
Operation Uranus 1942, 210,000 Germans, 105,000 surrendered, 35,000 left by air and the remaining 60,000 died or committed suicide.
The Skies above Germany were already destroying the ability to produce for it's war machine
The Fire Bombing of Hamburg showed that in 1943.
With no disrespect to those who lost their lives during the Normandy invasion & the push into Germany after the battle of the Bulge it was a race to Berlin that had pretty much started in the East

Bookmark   April 3, 2014 at 8:43AM
tobr24u(z6 RI)

Kharkov also had material and manpower. Giap had peasants and bicycles using the the Ho Chi Minh trail with an acute sense of how to overcome his enemy's overwhelming material advantages and highly trained manpower...

Bookmark   April 3, 2014 at 8:56AM
patriciae_gw(07)

Why do they always give the credit to the generals? A people who will not be ruled cant be.

Bookmark   April 3, 2014 at 2:21PM
david52_gw

Along the same lines, we're 20 years out from the Rwandan genocide, at the link is an article of one of the heroes of that conflict.

April 2014 being the 100th anniversary of the start of WWI, the 100th anniversary of the Ludlow massacre in Colorado - pay miners with company script only useful to pay rent at the company town or buy from the company store, charge the miners for the supplies they use mining coal, and paid by the ton, weighed by the company with no labor witness. Ah, the good old days.

Here is a link that might be useful: link

Bookmark   April 3, 2014 at 2:52PM
chase_gw

Without a doubt General Romeo Dallaire.

Not only did he do heroic work in Rwanda but he has pioneered efforts to understand and treat Post Traumatic Stress Disorder. A military leader, humanitarian, and respected Canadian Statesman.

His book, " Shake Hands with the Devil: The Failure of Humanity in Rwanda" is an incredible read.

Here is a link that might be useful: Lieutenant General Romeo Dallaire

Bookmark   April 3, 2014 at 2:59PM
labrea_gw

I get it mighty mite kicks butt of France Japan & The US!
In land area slightly smaller than New Foundland your impressed the author is impressed. I may yet be,.
I'm alas entrenched with a Western mentality of large tank battles rather that hit & run guerrilla warfare.
Unfortunately we were also treated to North Vietnamese war films at the Old Bleecker Street Cinema on Friday nights before the midnight show.

Bookmark   April 3, 2014 at 3:08PM
rosie(Deep South, USA 7A/B)

Well, that's not China, surely? Is there a people who will not be ruled? Aside from the Afghanis, of course, and excepting their own local warloards.

General Giap sounds like someone I want to read about. Without knowing squat about generals in general, though, I'd like to throw Generals Eisenhower's, MacArthur's, etc., boss, General George Marshall, into the ring. I have read about him, and he is very high on the American list.

Bookmark   April 3, 2014 at 3:16PM
nancy_in_venice_ca Sunset 24 z10

The only general I've ever read about was Vinegar Joe Stilwell. I have seen others give high marks to Giap.

MacArthur led the attack against the Bonus Army in DC, with an assist from Patton, in 1932.

Bookmark   April 3, 2014 at 9:05PM
eibren(z6PA)

Nancy, was it Tuchman's book you read?

That's the one I read on General Stilwell, too, and as far as persistence goes in the light of an impossible assignment, I would have to give him the highest mark.

Here is a link that might be useful: Wikipedia

Bookmark   April 4, 2014 at 2:51AM
florey

Although Ike was not at the top of his class on tactics, he was picked because he could get along with people, note things that needed work. [ like the few and terrible cross national roads in~20s], and get things done.
There would be some prickly personalities and issues ahead, in Europe.

He had worked as a junior officer for both Gens. Pershing, and Marshall, who consistently gave him a superior rating.

Interesting to hear about others though, Leadership, kind of commands (; interest.

Bookmark   April 8, 2014 at 3:17PM
More Discussions
Indecent Exposure
Rep. David Moore on Tuesday introduced House Bill 365...
labrea_gw
France warns Russia
France Warns Russia And Its Allies Not To Advance On...
momj47
Servants of God Arrested 2015
It's early still in the year but time to post some...
labrea_gw
Walmart raises minimum for wage for hourly employees
This was announced several days ago and I though it...
chase_gw
Not a Kodak Moment for Idaho Legislator
Makes you wonder why they keep trying. http://www.dailykos.com/story/2015/02/23/1366371/-Idaho-Republican-to-doctor-Can-a-woman-swallow-a-camera-for-a-pregnancy-exam-w-audio...
duluthinbloomz4
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™