bonatea speciosa 'green egret' fcc/aos

orchidnickJanuary 13, 2014

A terrestrial from Africa, warn to cool with a dry rest when deciduous. It's just getting started with 2 stems, a third coming and at least 20 tubers resting underground deciding whether to do something or what. Hopefully more will come and 2 month from now it should be more bushy and the flower stalks should have 10 or so flowers on it. It's bee kept fairly dry, full watering and fertilizing will resume now.

Nick

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
orchidnick

Once again it would not accept any upper case letters , converts them all to lower case even if I shut the thread down and came back. Don't know why it does that, not the first time.

Here is the profile. This plant is strange because there are 13 different varieties and I have never seen one other than speciosa. The other weird thing is that every single plant I have ever seen, and I remember buying this plant 14 years ago, is this FCC clone. Where are all the others?

Nick

Bookmark   January 13, 2014 at 3:34PM
orchidnick

Here is the pot. 1/2 between the top of the tag and the stem is a little green nub which is new growth emerging. The pot is full of tubers. I have seen this put on a real display of green, bushy, lushness and then there are some springs when it just lingers. This looks like it's going to be a lingering spring. Unless I see a few more nubs coming up, I think I will unearth the tubers and restart in 5 or 6 pots. Did that a number of years ago and they all seem to disappear, gifts, trades, suicides and what have you. This is the only one I have right now.

Nick

Bookmark   January 13, 2014 at 3:42PM
jane__ny(9-10)

Love it! How tall does it get? I just love that flower. I wonder if it could take Florida heat?

Jane

Bookmark   January 13, 2014 at 11:21PM
inga007(Ont. 6a)

WOW! Very striking. Never seen one before.

Bookmark   January 14, 2014 at 8:02AM
orchidnick

The are from Africa growing both warm and cold so Florida should be no problem. They have a dormant period when there is danger of rotting out the bulbs if they are too wet. It's a little taller than a foot.

Nick

Bookmark   January 14, 2014 at 10:10AM
shavedmonkey (Harvey in South Fl.)Z10b

Nick you maintain an amazing collection. Thanks for sharing. green egret looks like it is from another planet! How many plants in your collection?

Bookmark   January 14, 2014 at 4:09PM
orchidnick

About 2,000 or so. I do like the unusual

Nick

Bookmark   January 14, 2014 at 5:23PM
jane__ny(9-10)

Is that one of your Ebay finds? I'd like to order one.

Jane

Bookmark   January 14, 2014 at 9:27PM
orchidnick

I got this one 12, 13 years ago. Maybe 4 to 5 years ago, Cal Orchids had a whole bunch of them. Contact them to see if there are any left. If not, I can send you a tuber or 2 as I'm pretty sure I'll unpot it and start 4 or 5 new pots after they finish blooming. Depends on new shoot activity.

Nick

Bookmark   January 14, 2014 at 10:13PM
orchidnick

Curiosity got the best of me and I unpotted it. 6 extra tubers emerged. The feel like potatoes. If you want one, Jane, speak now or forever hold your peace.

Nick

Bookmark   January 16, 2014 at 5:42PM
orchidnick

The plant is growing in a 1/2 gallon Cymb pot which was pretty packed with these tubers. I stuck my finger in earlier and because there was no wiggle room thought there would be more. On the other hand, they are a good size.

Nick

Bookmark   January 16, 2014 at 5:46PM
jane__ny(9-10)

Nick, Nick, I want one!!

I will post your photos forever...you already figured it out

I'll PM you,

Jane

Bookmark   January 17, 2014 at 12:09AM
jane__ny(9-10)

Came across this photo on the AOS website

Bookmark   February 27, 2014 at 1:30AM
orchidnick

WOW! Now that's deserving of the FCC it has.

Nick

Bookmark   February 27, 2014 at 2:24AM
More Discussions
Photos of 2015 Yuxi cym show, Yunnan province, China
Link: more than 100 photos in my idea book some examples...
jujujojo_gw
Calanthe Grouville (Super Semi x 'Long John')
This is one of the Eric Young Foundation Calanthe hybrids....
orchidnick
Pomolocalpa diffusum.
Found in Malaysia, Sumatra and Java as a warm growing...
orchidnick
Eria acervata
Found in Yunnan China, Assam, eastern Himalayas, Myanmar,...
orchidnick
Pleurothallis aves-seriales aka pendunculatum
A cool grower from Columbia. Nice delicate flowers. Nick...
orchidnick
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™