Plant now for next May?

zahzeen(5)July 6, 2012

I received quite a few seed packages from Fran earlier last month at her swap that I would like to plant now so they will be salable next May (Thanks, Fran!). I found a website (jelitto.com) that gives approximate times from sowing to germination; germination to transplant; transplant to salable plant. The three I picked to start now (rather than WS) should bloom the first year based on the internet research I did. They are also sun/part shade. But, that research is not as good as my New England neighbors real life experiences.

The three I picked were:

Candy Lily - 14 minimum to 22 maximum weeks sow to salable

Balloon Plant - 12 to 17 weeks sow to salable

Lupine - 12 to 21 weeks sow to salable

So based on the minimums, if I sow them this weekend,they should be salable by the around the end of September/early October and I can just leave them in their pots over the winter and then sell them in May. Anyone have any comments or advice? I also received some money plants, foxglove and disco belle seeds but will probably try to WS these. The chives and garlic chive seeds I received will be part of my August 1st herb experimental planting. I can't remember who suggested that but I bought or received 15 kinds of perennial herb seeds that I'll be starting next month. Of course I'll be asking for help/advice about that a little later in the month!

Thanks in advance for any help.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
NHBabs(4b-5aNH)

Plant the foxglove now as well. It's a biennial or short-lived perennial and if you don't plant it now, it won't be blooming size next year IME.

Bookmark   July 7, 2012 at 10:47AM
zahzeen(5)

Hi nhhabs,

Thank you very much for your response. I'm going to start a new post about biennials or short term perennials, I'm not sure they are the right plant to sell to benefit Children's Hospital if they live for maybe only a year. I really appreciate your input.

But you think the other are OK?

Marlene

Bookmark   July 7, 2012 at 6:02PM
diggingthedirt

Foxgloves are WONDERFUL and although an individual plant only blooms one season, they're certainly worth selling at a fundraiser, as long as they're correctly identified as biennials. For one thing, they'll self-sow, if not deadheaded completely, and for another, they have an incredibly long bloom season, if they're deadheaded gently. Sorry, I know you said you'd deal with biennials in another thread, but I had to weigh in on this here!

Also, aren't some lupines biennial? Or was that a myth that was dispelled on another thread a few months (years?) back?

Bookmark   July 7, 2012 at 7:05PM
NHBabs(4b-5aNH)

The lupines I have are biennial, but I am not sure if they are true biennials or it's that they are a favorite of the voles, and once they get large enough, they become dinner.

My foxgloves were a year end thank you from a family years ago when I was still teaching, and they have persisted for more than 10 years. I think of that family every summer as they bloom. I agree with DtD that as long as folks know that they are biennial and that they can leave them to seed a bit and have new plants succeeding years, or that if they cut off the bloom stems that they MIGHT have them last another year or two, they would be fine to sell.

Bookmark   July 7, 2012 at 8:21PM
More Discussions
Hummingbird Spring Migration 2015
I've been checking regularly and finally today there...
claireplymouth z6b coastal MA
What happened to the SEARCH button?
I know I have another birthday coming and my eyes are...
moliep
Conservation District Sales and State Nurseries
You all know what time of year it is. It's the time...
edlincoln
Web design resources: blogs & designer websites
I have two garden-related confessions to make today...
NHBabs
Annie_NH Plant Swap June 2014
Annie will be having her plant swap on June 1st. I...
annie_nh
Sponsored Products
Cedar Outdoor Christmas Tree in Glossy Black Planter Christmas Decor
$399.00 | FRONTGATE
Algreen Self Watering Modena Windowsill Oval Planter and Herb Garden - 15105
$39.99 | Hayneedle
Safavieh Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Safavieh Rugs Bohemian Caramel 5 ft. x 8 ft.
Home Depot
Teak Leaning Plant Stand
Signature Hardware
Bronze Table Lamp: 23.5 in. Three Parrots Table Lamp TA60179
Home Depot
7.5 ft. Cool White LED Pre-lit Blossom Tree - 92411070
$348.99 | Hayneedle
Jaipur Lustre Lustre Solid Pattern Bamboo Silk Handloom Rug - RRC217206-0003
$182.00 | Hayneedle
Safavieh Chairs Plated Gold Lantana Patio Stool ACS4545A
Home Depot
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™