Yellow Flowering Tree near Boylston St/Fenway in Boston?

arbo_retum(z5 ,WinchstrMA)July 25, 2011

I was driving past last week and noticed a very large (20-30'H) round canopied tree with pea foliage and golden flowers- in front of a New Eng conservatory building/rowhouse (somewhere to the right of the large Mass Historical Society headquarters) off Boylston St./Fenway in Boston. Does anyone know if this is a laburnum or what? a long shot but it can't hurt to ask!

thanks much,

mindy

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bill_ri_z6b(Zone 6B)

Mindy, could it be the Golden Rain Tree
Koelreuteria paniculata ? They're showy when in full bloom.
Bill

Bookmark   July 26, 2011 at 4:41AM
rockman50(6b SEMASS)

I agree with Bill. It sounds exactly like the Golden Rain Tree. Interestingly, I believe this is an invasive tree down south, particularly in Florida where it might be illegal to plant?

Bookmark   July 26, 2011 at 1:05PM
WendyB(5A/MA)

Laburnum is in the pea family. is Koelreuteria? Pea foliage is very distinctive, so you may have seen a Laburnum.

And laburnum common name is Golden Chain Tree and Keoleuteria is Golden Rain tree (or do I have them backwards?) common names are way too close!!

But the flowers are quite different so a google image search should clarify.

Bookmark   July 27, 2011 at 9:26PM
arbo_retum(z5 ,WinchstrMA)

thank youall; it MUST be a golden rain tree, koelreuteria, unless there is another yellow flowering z.6 hardy tree.
I just thought it might be something different because i have TWO of these darn trees and they have never flowered ANYWHERE near the abundance and deep gold of the flowers i saw on this tree. phoooooey.i'm going to cry now.
mindy

Bookmark   July 27, 2011 at 10:08PM
bill_ri_z6b(Zone 6B)

OK there are named varieties of Golden Rain tree that can have quite varied flowering performance. You may have seen a preferred variety.
As for Laburnum, while it is a very showy tree and does have trefoil leaves, it would not be in bloom at this time. It flowers in May generally in our area.

Bill

Bookmark   July 27, 2011 at 10:34PM
rockman50(6b SEMASS)

Bill is correct. The Golden Chain tree is a spring bloomer, not mid summer. Moreover, the Golden Chain tree is generally a small tree. Mindy is describing something much larger.

Bookmark   July 28, 2011 at 10:33AM
pixie_lou

I was just in that neighborhood this morning. DD and I went to the Mapporium, then we had lunch at Crazy Doughs. I specifically brought my camera to take a picture of the tree - to aid in the ID for this thread. But lo and behold, I could not find a tree with yellow flowers on that section of Boylston Street.

Bookmark   July 28, 2011 at 3:00PM
arbo_retum(z5 ,WinchstrMA)

pixie, well if you aren't the nicest thing! i'm guessing it's gone by, but i will check it as well when i'm next in town. thank you so much for thinking of me!
best,
mindy

Bookmark   July 29, 2011 at 2:00AM
More Discussions
Snowdrops
Yes, I know you think they're just cute little white...
Steve Massachusetts Zone 5b
Tropical Houseplants in CT
Besides Logee's, are there any other nurseries that...
javaandjazz
Show us your gardens - a photo thread - March 2015
Welcome to the New England Gardening "Show Us...
NHBabs
UMass Extension Landscape Message March 27, 2015
UMass Extension Landscape Message #2 - 2015 The Landscape...
claireplymouth z6b coastal MA
2015 Camellia Show at Tower Hill Botanic Garden
http://www.towerhillbg.org/index.php?cID=410 This weekend,...
claireplymouth z6b coastal MA
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™