Veggie gardening in Vancouver, BC?

awoogleAugust 23, 2009

Long story short, I'd like to grow as many of my own vegetables as possible, as produce in Vancouver is (like everything else) anything but cheap. I also have a couple of major restrictions:

-I have perhaps a 1x4 meter area to work in.

-This area gets quite a bit of shade from an overhead maple tree, though I guess that won't be as much of a problem come winter.

-My soil is fairly sandy, though it's getting better with the help of compost and manure.

With this in mind, does anyone have any suggestions on what kind of vegetables would be good for me to grow, and when? Any suggestions would be most helpful, as the entire yield from my garden in three months has been about 10 peas, 6 burgundy beans, and half a dozen tomatoes that have been stolen by squirrels...

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
scarleta

Sorry to hear you only had 10 peas? How many did you plant? Did they all sprout? or something like slugs consumed them when they were young and tasty?
tomatoes are still growing so you should be getting more same for beans.Beans should be picked up young if you let them go too far the entire plant stops producing concentrating its energy on seed production so maybe that's the case. Its important for you to know why such poor results?It will be easier to plan the garden when you know why you are only getting few peas, beans etc.
You may consider to prune your maple a bit to allow more light ( it will re grow )
Most important for you is really to find out why such poor results.Our Vancouver summer has been incredible and most people have abundance of veggies right now.

Bookmark   August 23, 2009 at 8:15PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gardengal48

It's difficult to speculate on why you've had such poor performance from your veggie garden, but I'd surmise lack of sunlight and less than ideal soil conditions are contributing. Most vegetables prefer 6-8 hours (or more) of full sun to grow and produce well - shading from a large tree canopy during the height of the growing season can certainly have an adverse impact. Then too there is the question of how close the maple is to the planting area - most maples produce very widespreading, close to the soil surface root systems that make it very difficult for smaller plants nearby to compete for nutrients and soil moisture. Sometimes it is possible to overcome this situation by planting in raised beds but if too close to the maple, the tree roots will invade the raised beds as well.

Is it possible to relocate your vegetable garden to an area that is open to more sun and well away from any large trees? You will get much better results.

Bookmark   August 24, 2009 at 9:52AM
More Discussions
One month early bolssom - Apricot
PNW (8A) Due to warm winter my 5 year old Tomcot Apricot...
Pachhu
Favorite potting soil?
I used Miracle Gro "Moisture Control" potting...
lisianthus
Pot Filler
What do you use for the bottom half of a large pot...
lorrainehowe28
what to do here?
Thinking of planting native shrubs, salal, redtwig...
zephyrgal
Aspirin and fig rust
Recently, I visited my brother in Thailand and he has...
winsorw
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™