OT: spider id?

lalalaJuly 8, 2013

I posted this on the insects forum, but I thought a fellow New Englander might recognize it faster. We have three spiders living in a window. One household member is concerned they could be male black widows. Any ideas as to what they are? thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
diggingthedirt

I think you can upload an image to the id request page at bugguide.net, and you may get an id there. I tried google but didn't see this guy.

Otherwise, you could always relocate this one to a remote corner of your yard and hope for strong wind.

Here is a link that might be useful: id requests at bugnet

Bookmark   July 9, 2013 at 12:03PM
lalala

Thanks for the suggestion! I posted it at bugguide.net--let's hope someone can ID it.

Bookmark   July 9, 2013 at 12:33PM
lalala

Digginginthedirt, I posted my picture and got an ID--it's a Steadota, either trianulosa or albomaculata. Not poisonous. Thanks again for the suggestion.

Bookmark   July 10, 2013 at 10:44AM
ctlady_gw(z6 CT)

That must be a HUGE relief! I have to say I cannot remember seeing so many spiders as I have this year. I keep thinking I have web worms or tent caterpillars in my shrubs and garden plants but when I look closely, they have all been newly hatched hordes of baby spiders clambering happily around a dense web mama spider made for them. HUNDREDS of baby spiders. I keep thinking of Wilbur and Charlotte's Web ;)

Bookmark   July 10, 2013 at 11:20AM
lalala

I agree that it's a big year for spiders--indoors for us! We always have small sac spiders in our house, but this year we've got more tiny jumping spiders as well as two other species I've never seen before. I'm not too nervous around spiders, but I like to know what I'm dealing with!

Bookmark   July 10, 2013 at 11:44AM
ctlady_gw(z6 CT)

Yep, I'm with you!! One of our cats alerted us just last evening to a HUGE black spider perched on one of the kitchen chairs. That thing was at least 1-1.5 inches long if you count the legs. I think it was probably a wolf spider but I wasn't taking ANY chances! Grabbed my spider catcher (after a scream or two) and got that thing out of the house!

Bookmark   July 10, 2013 at 12:44PM
More Discussions
Flora at THBG
I think this exhibition of flowers and flower arrangements...
Steve Massachusetts Zone 5b
when do your daffodils bloom?
When do your daffodils bloom? I can't wait for them...
daffodil33
Seeds & Plants on Sale, Locally? Online Catalog Sales?
Finally starting to feel like the growing season is...
prairiemoon2 z6 MA
Birds and other mobile features in the garden 2015 #3
This thread is intended to give people a place to post...
claireplymouth z6b coastal MA
How are you guys holding up in this "Snowpocalypse"??
Hi guys, haven't been posting much, but still lurk...
terrene_ma
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™