bamboo alternative for screen?

heavypetalAugust 30, 2007

I've just finished hardscaping in my small back patio and need suggestions for something I can plant in a 1'x 4' area to act as a leafy screen. I love the modern look of bamboo, but everyone tells me 1' is too narrow a space for it.

Any suggestions for a freestanding (preferrably evergreen)screen?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
wannadanc(z8 WA)

Use bamboo ONLY if containerized - and it can be containerized. Not only is the space too small, even clumping bamboo can be pesky about taking up too much space.

Bookmark   August 30, 2007 at 8:20PM
LovinRoses(7GrtsPassOR)

We have a neighbor who is very much a collector of "stuff". We also live in Southern Oregon where something called, well you know what I mean, is grown out of doors. We have planted a variety of evergreen trees and shrubs to block the view. The most successful and the fastest growing plant has been a laurel. Even the ones in the pots are doing better than other evergreens in the ground. We also have used Micchrorizea in everything we have planted. This has made a major difference in the growth pattern of these plants and trees. The variation of plants we have done will give a very nice backdrop to our "view". In the years to come the variation of greens will be fabulous to look at from our side of the fence. My husband staggered the holes, that makes a big difference in what the end result will look like. Good luck

Bookmark   September 1, 2007 at 1:40PM
digdig

Skypencil holly in containers to give it some height?

Bookmark   September 2, 2007 at 1:38PM
kneewalker

I put a 7' obelisk in a big pot next to a fence where a nosy neighbor pretends to water his weeds and gawks at me. Planted scarlet runner bean seeds in it on August 1st and the vines are at the top of the obelisk today (Sept 2nd.) Certainly not evergreen but a REALLY fast screen. You might consider an evergreen vine on a trellis for such a narrow space.

Bookmark   September 3, 2007 at 2:13AM
More Discussions
Ideas for ground cover and evergreen shrubs?
Have been cleaning up a landscape that had been neglected...
westseattledeb
Good Cover Crop... Now What?
We have had a mild winter here in the PNW and the cover...
lonmower
Compost Bin Advice
After researching the costs of materials and help to...
anise_hyssop
Pot Filler
What do you use for the bottom half of a large pot...
lorrainehowe28
Re:Anyone growing citrus in PNW
Hi everyone, I have an indoor tangerine plant for 4-5...
sweetflowers
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™