Angraecum Crestwood

jane__ny(9-10)January 26, 2014

Entered in a show this weekend and got a first prize. This is an easy plant to grow if you have the space. Flowers religiously every January. I only got 4 spikes this year probably due to a repot this past spring. Night fragrant.

Not a good picture, taken with my phone as the club was setting up the display. The plant is large and heavy and was quite a feat getting it to the top of the display. I thought for sure, it was going to topple. I think having the light fixture right above it, did in the flowers. Usually flowers for a good month. But some seem to be fading already. Probably the light.

Jane

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
arthurm(Sydney, NSW AUST)

Only first prize? Not Champion something or other?

Bookmark   January 27, 2014 at 12:12AM
inga007(Ont. 6a)

Congrats. That is a great looking plant.
I like the idea of the fragrance and easy to grow, but size wise, it's a no-go.

Bookmark   January 27, 2014 at 10:00AM
orchidnick

Love it. Got a sad lesson from one of these some years ago. I bought a Crestwood from a vendor facing the I5 some years ago. (This vendor is long gone) When I got it home I noticed something that made me uneasy. I had it tested and it was positive for virus. Took it back and got a refund with an apology. No problem.

3 weeks later I was back and he had the plant sitting there, 'SPECIAL! REDUCED PRICE'. I talked to him about it and all he could say is that he has expenses and every plant counts! Never went there again.

Nick

Bookmark   January 27, 2014 at 1:20PM
jane__ny(9-10)

Nick, probably a blessing in disguise. I've had this plant since 07 and its about 4 ft now. Do the math!

Arthur, very funny. No such luck. I deserve the prize for just getting the plant there (couldn't find anyone with a truck). The club members deserve it for hauling it to the top of the display. Must weigh over 30lbs. Its a 'back-breaker.'

There was a big eburneum which won also. I was surprised to see a few Angs besides mine. Rarely see them anymore.

Jane

Bookmark   January 27, 2014 at 4:20PM
orchidnick

No blessing in disguise, I love big plants. Have a few that will never see another show or meeting. Den speciosum, more than one. Onc sphacellatum, can't lift it anymore.

Nick

Bookmark   January 27, 2014 at 4:32PM
terpguy(7)

Makes me miss my veitchii!

Bookmark   January 27, 2014 at 7:35PM
jane__ny(9-10)

Arthur, 'twisty flower.'

I love the whole group. They are big, hefty plants which make themselves known.

I like the little guys too, but they can't take my degree of neglect.

Jane

Bookmark   January 27, 2014 at 9:15PM
yenika_zone10 Miami, Fl

Hi Jane,

I hope i can get an answer quick from you.... I got an angraecum sesquipedaleframboyantx bosorii lisa and the flower just dry off. What do you do? Do you cut the spike ? Also i need to know if i can repotted now.

I have a post but noone has enter yet...

Thank you

Bookmark   March 7, 2015 at 2:16PM
jane__ny(9-10)

I answered your post on discussions. Yes cut off the spike when its finished blooming.

Bookmark   March 7, 2015 at 10:09PM
yenika_zone10 Miami, Fl

Thanyk you

Bookmark   March 8, 2015 at 6:38AM
jane__ny(9-10)

BTW, I did get best in show on this. Very odd because they flowers were starting to fade. Had been in bloom for a month. Judges love these plants. I have to try to get it to bloom earlier. In NY it always spiked in September and bloomed around Christmas. In Florida its a month later, probably due to the warm winter. I believe this plant is similar to Phals in that the temp drop starts the spikes. Not sure how to handle it. Thinking I might bring it inside to AC in early September. Not an easy task.

I don't have a cold greenhouse (Nick), but am determined to get this to start spiking a month earlier. Most of the big shows are in late Dec and January. I squeaked by this year. I need to get it spiking earlier.

Jane

1 Like    Bookmark   March 9, 2015 at 10:28PM
shavedmonkey (Harvey in South Fl.)Z10b

If it is still late in blooming, bring it to the Martin County Show. It was last weekend. What a beauty!

Bookmark   March 10, 2015 at 12:16AM
yenika_zone10 Miami, Fl

Very nice, i hope that mine grow like that ...congratulations Jane, is a real beauty you have

Bookmark   March 10, 2015 at 5:44AM
More Discussions
BC Sunny Delight 'MAJ' x Epc Kyoguchi 'M Sauno'
A delightful hybrid. Up your alley, Jane, a very strong...
orchidnick
dendrobium kingianum
I bought this from Cal Orchids several year ago. I...
aztcqn
Tollumnias
Tollumnias deserve a home too. There are enough around,...
orchidnick
Pleurothallis tuckerheimii
Found from Mexico, Guatemala, Belize, Costa Rica and...
orchidnick
Paph Hsinying 'Franz; #2 x Paph Susan Booth 'Dark'
And the beat goes on. Very dark, almost too dark. Nick...
orchidnick
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™