light requirements for Crocosmia

toad_ca(z7b Bellingham, WA)August 24, 2013

I just bought a Montbretia 'Babylon' ( Crocosmia x crocosmiiflora 'Babylon' ) and the tag says that the light requirements are "Sun to Part Shade." I was a little suspicious, so I Googled the plant and found that most--but not all--sites specified full sun. Given our NW intense but fleeting summer sun, I'm not sure where to put the plant. I wanted it for a partial sun spot. Thoughts?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gardengal48

Shoot for a location that receives at least 6 hours. You should be fine.

Bookmark   August 24, 2013 at 6:33PM
Embothrium(USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA)

Clumps are thinner and floppier when shaded. Expect to be dealing with mites wherever you put it, as these are very common on this genus here - I even see recently delivered stock at retail outlets with obvious infestations. Existing plantings are often partly browned by their attentions at this point in the season.

Bookmark   August 25, 2013 at 12:16AM
dottyinduncan(z8b coastal BC)

It's interesting, I had some Lucifer that was too vigorous for the place I put it. So, I dug it up, probably 2 years ago, and some of it ended up being thrown down the hillside. A few weeks ago, I found it blooming happily. It was under a tree but got a lot of western sun. I think they are very forgiving, but too much shade means not so many flowers.

Bookmark   August 25, 2013 at 12:40AM
toad_ca(z7b Bellingham, WA)

Thank you all for your responses. I decided my original spot was just too shaded, so I found a sunnier one. Glad I checked on the web and with you folks. I've been finding that plant tags are good starting points--as in: general suggestions--but local conditions and other opinions/experiences have been more valuable in the long run. Thanks again!

Bookmark   August 27, 2013 at 12:49PM
More Discussions
Anyone Growing Perennial Vegetables?
I've been reading about more unusual (to us) perennial...
mkirkwag
Holy aphids Batman!
With the arctic freeze moving on, I went out yesterday...
Bear999
Question re: NW Garden show
We are planning to go to the NW Garden show for the...
dottyinduncan
Crape Myrtles in PNW - trick to get them to bloom?
I have three Crape Myrtles I planted that have been...
wynswrld98
Compost Bin Advice
After researching the costs of materials and help to...
anise_hyssop
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™