Help pruning Laburnum 'Vossi' (Goldenchain)

haunmaAugust 10, 2008

I planted this tree two years ago and it is growing vigorously, with great flower displays each spring. How should I prune it to encourage vertical growth? UW arboretum has some nice specimens at least 50 feet tall---but I don't know if they are the same variety. Maybe 'Vossi' wants to be more droopy.

Mine is growing out prolifically but doesn't seem to have a dominant leader. I tried staking the biggest branch upright but the whole thing is kind of floppy. How should I approach this? I have room for width but I don't want a shrub.

Mark

Here is a link that might be useful: Two photos of my tree

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Embothrium(USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA)

Your tree has already been developed by the nursery by this size. There is really nothing more for you to do except keep it growing well. It will look more like older, larger specimens you have seen when it is itself older and larger. Occasional low hanging branchlets that are bothersome to you could be snipped off, but the main branches are set and should not be messed with. Do not attempt to modify the main framework, in particular not cutting main branches off as these removals may result in cavities.

A short trunk with a vase-like arrangement of main branches on top is typical for these trees.

Bookmark   August 10, 2008 at 9:27PM
More Discussions
Good Cover Crop... Now What?
We have had a mild winter here in the PNW and the cover...
lonmower
2nd annual 'Shovel Prune' plant swap (Portland area)
Just wanted remind people to start thinking about,...
duane456
Favorite potting soil?
I used Miracle Gro "Moisture Control" potting...
lisianthus
Groundcover for moist shade
I live in Portland and I Am looking for a low growing...
Karenseb
What seeds r u planting now this early warm spring?
My arugula is up fine but carrots havent germinated...
maroqw
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™