Please help id this orchid

KimhhFebruary 27, 2012

Hello all ,

I am new to this forum , I've given an orchid without name tag . Please ID this orchid , it has a nice smell in the morning , I thought it was Zygopetalum but someone said it wasn't . Any idea what it is ? Thank you very much for your help

Uploaded with [URL=http://imageshack.us]ImageShack.us[/URL]

Here is a link that might be useful:

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
arthurm(Sydney, NSW AUST)

Sorry, i do not know what it is, but repost over on discussions where you might at least get a Genera ID.

Bookmark   February 27, 2012 at 4:08AM
Kimhh

Thank you Authurm for replying , I've just reposted over Orchid discussion , hopefully can get opinions there as well .
Have a great day !

Bookmark   February 27, 2012 at 11:24AM
ifraser25(z11 Brazil)

There has been a lot of hybridization of Zygos in the last 10 years - this is almost certainly one of them. Some of the other species they have been crossed with are Pescatoria, Colax, Warrea, Batemannia, Chaubardia and Pabstia. Sometimes more than one. Impossible to tell. Why don't you do a bit of detective work by going back to the person you got it from and work back to the person who made the cross? You may not get anywhere but with such a nice plant it would be worth the effort.

Bookmark   February 27, 2012 at 4:11PM
Kimhh

Thank you for the suggestion , I might just do it . You could be right , it could have been a cross of Zygos and one of these species mentioned . It has a fragrance reminiscent of that of Zygos but not as strong and I really like it .

Bookmark   February 28, 2012 at 1:49AM
flexdc

OMG, I bought one of these at my local Trader Joe store. The tag says Zygonisia Cynosure 'Blue Bird'. I thought the color of this plant was absolutely amazing!

Bookmark   April 15, 2012 at 3:39PM
More Discussions
Coelogyne specisosa
Warm grower from the rain forests of Malaysia, Borneo,...
orchidnick
TBG show
Thought of your pleuros , Nick, kept the one with the...
inga2015
Cattleya leopoldii
Plant of the night at an orchid society meeting. Unfortunately...
arthurm2015
Dendrobium anceps
A hot to cold grower found in Assam, Bangladesh, eastern...
orchidnick
Lc Trick ot Treat Hobgoblin HCC/AOS
A perennial favorite, must have enjoyed this plant's...
orchidnick
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™