Evergreen vine for shade?

dottyinduncan(z8b coastal BC)August 21, 2014

Is there a vine that I could use in some planter boxes which are in shade? Usually, I put fibrous begonias in during the summertime but they have gone mouldy and had to come out. I am planning to put a painted fern in each section (there are 3 sections) and some Heucheras but thought something trailing would be pretty. We have such a deer problem, I have to use things they don't like and still spray them! The planter boxes are not big, 10 inches across and 12 inches deep.
Appreciate any suggestions.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Embothrium(USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA)

One of the miniature ivies.

Bookmark   August 21, 2014 at 4:27PM
dottyinduncan(z8b coastal BC)

Yes, that's about the only I could think of. Perhaps a variegated one to add a little light to a shady spot.
Thanks.

Bookmark   August 22, 2014 at 3:12PM
jacqueinthegorge(USDA 8 / Sunset 5)

I underplanted a hosta in a half-barrel in a shady area on the north side of my house with creeping jenny - lysimachia nummularia - and it is doing well, not looking sparse and all stretched out. There is a variegated form, but the nursery person said that, given the shade, the plant would most likely lose the variegation. Dunno whether that would also be the case with variegated ivy.

Bookmark   September 7, 2014 at 1:45PM
dottyinduncan(z8b coastal BC)

I like the yellow creeping Jenny and given that it is in boxes it won't become invasive. I've planted the boxes with painted fern, heuchera, artisimia and little pansies and so far it looks quite pretty. I haven't been able to find the variegated ivy so am starting some in the house. Given our deer problem though, I'm having to spray it with Bobex continuously. Plastic plants are starting to look good...

Bookmark   September 9, 2014 at 5:36PM
More Discussions
Camelia question.
We have a camelia ten years old - looked great in the...
dwightgibb
Fertilizing flower bulbs (e.g., Daffodils)
I was listening to Ciscoe Morris' gardening radio show...
wynswrld98
Aspirin and fig rust
Recently, I visited my brother in Thailand and he has...
winsorw
One month early bolssom - Apricot
PNW (8A) Due to warm winter my 5 year old Tomcot Apricot...
Pachhu
Silk Tassel: where to buy?
I saw one of these in Seattle a while back and, now...
clevelje
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™