aristea ecklonii

billyet(Portland OR)August 6, 2009

I have just moved to Portland and would like to know if anybody is growing aristea ecklonii here--iris relative, very very blue flowers from S Africa I think. I had one in Alabama, but had to leave it behind and would like to find another one.

Also, I am looking for blue-eyed grass, another relative.

thanks, if anyone grows them here I'd like to know about how they do and maybe trade?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gardengal48

I've seen aristea on occasion in local nurseries, but I believe it to be of marginal hardiness in this area. Sisyrinchium is much easier to find, including several west coast natives as well as hybrids. It is far hardier.

Bookmark   August 7, 2009 at 1:15PM
billyet(Portland OR)

Dear gardengal48
I just ran across what looks like a beautiful iris species: herbetia?
I see you specialize in iris, and wondered if you know if these are available in Portland, and how well they grow here.
I am planning to have as much blue-eyed grass as I can, it was lovely in my garden in Alabama. So far (we only got the key to our new house last week)--so far, I have spent all my garden time digging up blackberries, garden has been neglected for over a year, and the blackberries are taking over. But as soon as I get a breathing spell I will check out nurseries.
Would appreciate any recommendations about pdx nurseries, and what grows well here: as far as I can tell everything is burgeoning, even in the bad heat of last week.
Thanks for your help
Billye

Bookmark   August 7, 2009 at 11:46PM
Embothrium(USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA)

Try finding local vendors by looking in The Plant Locator - Western Region published in Portland and current through 2004. Individual inventories will be different now but web sites of those that had the particular plants desired at that time can be visited to find out if any still have them.

Bookmark   August 8, 2009 at 1:01AM
More Discussions
evergreens for by gate
I have a couple of Columnar Dwarf Siberian Dogwood...
hallerlake
Raised Beds/seed starts
We have 2 raised beds we put in last year in our front...
FireMidget
what to do here?
Thinking of planting native shrubs, salal, redtwig...
zephyrgal
What is good lilac to grow in North Seattle area?
My mom died last week. She liked smell of lilac flower. My...
briergardener_gw
Camelia question.
We have a camelia ten years old - looked great in the...
dwightgibb
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™