Macmex--sweet potato

slowpoke_gardenerMarch 15, 2013

I have some sweet potatoes that I grow as an ornamental ground cover. They taste more like an Irish potato than a sweet potato. They keep very well and bloom almost all summer.

I will post a picture of what they look like. Your bees may like them, they might serve as food as well. My wife does not like them but I have eaten them raw.

I will be glad to send you some just to say thanks for the onions you sent me, if your interested.

How they look after laying on our bedroom floor since late Sept.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
macmex

Larry, I'll give it a try. You still have my address?

George

Bookmark   March 16, 2013 at 12:32PM
slowpoke_gardener

George, I doubt that I have your address. I am so messed up when it comes to using a computer, even if I had your address I am not sure I could find it.

Please send your address and let me know if you want slips only or potatoes with slips attached. I will be more that happy to do it anyway you like.

I have never mailed sweet potatoes or slips, I may need some instructions also.

Larry

Bookmark   March 16, 2013 at 1:26PM
helenh(z6 SW MO)

Where did you find them in the first place? Do others like them or are they mostly ornamental plants?

This post was edited by helenh on Tue, Dec 10, 13 at 17:14

Bookmark   December 10, 2013 at 5:12PM
slowpoke_gardener

Helen, my wife got them in Ft. Smith at Sharum's nursery. There were only two plants in with other plants, she bought both of them and they did not have a name on them. I have kept some back for seed since then and still don't know what they are. I have eaten some raw the past 2 or 3 years, but this is the first year I have been able get my wife to cook any. She cook 2 each of Beauregard, Puerto Rican, and what ever these are. The way she prepared them, I like these better. They were baked whole with a coating of butter, salt and garlic. They were about 1" in Dia. and about 4 or 5 inch long. I ate peel and all and thought the had a better taste than the others, which were too sweet..

I left an 18 Gal. tote tub of sweet potatoes out to freeze, I just grew too much produce this year, I need more storage space.

Larry

Bookmark   December 10, 2013 at 6:51PM
macmex

Larry, I'm sorry to report that I lost mine before I could get them in the ground. You went through considerable effort and expense, getting them to me.

George

Bookmark   December 11, 2013 at 5:02AM
slowpoke_gardener

George, I think I can have some this year, I have saves back 3 or 4 for seed, I had given my uncle a start of them 2 of 3 years ago and he still save some back for seed. I gave a lady at M & M Greenhouse some plants about 1.5 or 2 years ago, I don't know if she grew and saved any. Sheila may know the woman and know if she is saving seed plants from year to year. Because of my declining health I am cutting back on what I grow, but I think I will be able to get some plants if anyone wants any.

Larry

Bookmark   December 11, 2013 at 9:36AM
More Discussions
How can I add photos to my posts?
I know many of you do this....I have tried to find...
merryheart
Looking for something pretty that will tolerate full sun but wet feet
I have an odd bed in the front yard (our house faces...
wulfletons
asparagus is up
Went out to plant corn and peas and noticed I had about...
mksmth zone 6b Tulsa Oklahoma
Oklahoma Kiwi plant recommendations.
I have the OSU handouts, and have done some research,...
Sheik Paladin
We're Having All Four Seasons of Weather This Week!
This is your warning that this week's weather is going...
Okiedawn OK Zone 7
Sponsored Products
Bend Seating | Long Horn Geometric Animal Head
YLiving.com
Dublin Sugar Packet Holder
Classic Hostess
Color Pop Sugar Bowl - Pink & Orange
$30.99 | Dot & Bo
Chelsea Harley Sofa In Stoked Ash with Sweet Pea Onyx/Arbor Onyx Pillows
Beyond Stores
Chocolate Pretzels Tall Canister
$23.50 | FRONTGATE
Modern Indoor/Outdoor Braided Area Rug: Colonial Mills Rugs Olivera Vintage
Home Depot
Sweet JoJo Designs Wild West Cowboy 3-piece Boys Full/Queen Children's Comforter
Overstock.com
Lumiere Lettura Floor Lamp by Foscarini
$1,290.00 | Lumens
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™