Odds and Ends

mctavish6October 4, 2012

Most of these were taken on Sept 30 or Oct 1. They are the ones that still look pretty great to me.

The first four are also Hostas that are under appreciated or at least not commented on much. I'm not sure why but they are fav's of mine.

I had to post this one in defence of Ann Kulpa. This is one of my best white centered Hostas. It is not perfect at this time of year but that is more due to falling tree stuff than anything else.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jan_on zone 5b

Lots of pretty things still standing in your garden! 'Abiqua Recluse' and 'Paradigm' actually look flawless. Thanks for sharing.
Jan

Bookmark   October 4, 2012 at 1:14PM
almosthooked

My Paradigm is in more light then yours is Myrle so is quite gold.. Love that one too

Bookmark   October 4, 2012 at 2:17PM
gogirlterri(5 IL)

I admire how your hostas still have the glaucous coating in September. You do a wonderful job both caring for and photographing you hostas, Myrle. Thank you for sharing both with us.
Theresa

Bookmark   October 5, 2012 at 8:16AM
hostafreak

Myrle,your hostas actually look better than mine. A lot of mine are already completely gone. Phil

Bookmark   October 5, 2012 at 8:47AM
Moccasin(z9aMobileAL)

Always inspiring to see your hosta, Myrle.

I have a young Paradigm, which looks good now, not at all weathered and faded. Must be a strong grower.

I have something similar to Aba Recluse and Lime Smoothie, but cannot remember what right now. Love the crinkled golden bronze leaves. Lots of substance, my preference in a hosta.

Bookmark   October 5, 2012 at 9:35AM
plantbug
    Bookmark   October 5, 2012 at 3:34PM
bkay2000(8a TX)

Hmmm.... My paradigm is still green in the middle (It's ugly as it's the one that was smushed.). My Orange Marmalade faded to cream as did Gold Standard. Wonder what makes the difference? The Paradigm and the Gold Standard got the same sun.

bkay

Bookmark   October 5, 2012 at 5:02PM
Moccasin(z9aMobileAL)

Here's the Paradigm taken this last week.

Do not know what possessed me to say I had one like Lime Smoothie. More like Stardust, but no dusting of white around the margins. That is a beautiful plant, Myrle.

Bookmark   October 5, 2012 at 8:34PM
vivian_2010

I just learned that this big unknown hosta I had in my back yard since I bought the house a few years ago might be a Paradigm. It takes lot of sun, and care free. Here is a picture taken yesterday. Not a sign of fall color yet.

Vivian

Bookmark   October 5, 2012 at 8:53PM
Moccasin(z9aMobileAL)

Vivian, that is a beautiful hosta! Seems to have Paradigm written all over it...:)

Bookmark   October 5, 2012 at 9:40PM
vivian_2010

Thanks to this forum and I now know the name of this big hosta that has been in my back yard for a long time. This just shows how much I need to learn about hosta gardening. I had some unknown hostas: now I know, one of them is Paradigm, one is Frangrant Bouquet, and the 3rd one is Halcyon. All have been superb. And this last 2 years I have added new ones (with known names::) and now I am a proud owner of 28 different hostas.

Vivian

Bookmark   October 5, 2012 at 11:04PM
Moccasin(z9aMobileAL)

Two things:
PlantBug, I appreciate the coffeepot picture. Similar in thinking to my Teatime teapot, but theirs is more elaborate.
Having ornamentation with hosta seems a natural thing. Thanks.

And Vivian, you are so cool to make your observations and figure out the ID of your three hosta all alone. Aren't the photos here GREAT? This year, 2012, saw a change in my hosta gardening. I'd say I reached a "tipping point" and do not know what set it off, except MAYBE it was PICTURES. So, we'll see how you manage next growing year, 2013. Watch out, the hostaholic bug may be lurking somewhere close! :)

Bookmark   October 5, 2012 at 11:31PM
mctavish6

Don't want to mislead you Moccasinlanding - The Stardust is just bleached at the edges of the leaf late in the year. Here is Stardust in Mid August.

Bookmark   October 6, 2012 at 12:36PM
Moccasin(z9aMobileAL)

OOOOhh wow-suh....even prettier, and it is a goldie.
Sigh.....well, I guess it isn't too early to start a 2013 Wish List.

Always room for another gold heavy substanced hosta.
Myrle, I did not consider you had misled me, not at all. Things change every week with these plants, all of them keep me watching for what comes next. Thanks.

Bookmark   October 6, 2012 at 5:12PM
More Discussions
Whatever happened to...?
I did a google search for Rob Canning (is that his...
Babka NorCal 9b
Hi, guys!
I’ve been reading the hosta forum for a couple of...
jajoana
What's looking good in your garden this week?
I'm afraid I'll miss the pipping going on in my hosta...
Moccasin
Anyone notice red leaf tips on 'Squash Casserole'?
Well, I did a day or so ago. Not just one or one eye,...
Moccasin
When could I remove the covers from the 2 ceramic pots of mini hostas?
The in-ground hostas are still very much in dormancy....
Esther-B, Zone 7b
Sponsored Products
Laminate Molding & Trim: Mohawk Building Materials Suede Hickory 3/4 in. Thick
$7.98 | Home Depot
Lights Up! French Mod Bronze Chintz Shade Floor lamp
Lamps Plus
Furniture of America Arsoli Beveled Glass Top End Table - Chrome / Black - IDF-4
$153.19 | Hayneedle
End Caps for 2 Circuit Monorail by Tech Lighting
$18.40 | Lumens
Laura Ashley End Table Lamp: Carin Mirrored Table Lamp TX0001
Home Depot
Nobi Small Pendant by FontanaArte
$540.00 | Lumens
Rounded Coffee Table
$572.99 | Dot & Bo
Hudson Moreno Khaki Rectangular: 5 Ft. 3 In. x 7 Ft. 6 In. Rug
$229.00 | Bellacor
People viewed this after searching for: