Seed starting mix

winstonsblues(7b)March 13, 2014

I would like to make a seed starting mix from stuff in the yard... is that possible? What would you use?
We have what I believe is a cedar tree in our front yard. The ground below it is covered in needles and the hulls of seeds. Can I use those as some part of it? (or anything?)
I was thinking something like garden dirt, compost, and the cedar stuff?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
chickencoupe

I've never been successful with any of my dirt except with, at least, half from seed-starting soil. Even then, the mold problems was bad. I even sterilized the soil by baking it. Didn't seem to help for me. Of course, not all dirt is the same. and mine were indoor starts. Outdoor starts behaved better.

I've considered using my better garden soil with something natural mixed in like crushed peanut hulls or something similar. (I have clay.) I might try that in the fall.

Bookmark   March 13, 2014 at 2:36PM
slowpoke_gardener

My neighbor was making his own out of leaf mold and other stuff he found in the woods by his house. He had beautiful plants, but there also seemed to be a learning curve he had to go through. I just use LC1 potting mix and a mixture of a potting mix that a local greenhouse mixes up. Both the local mix and the LC1 are around 13 to 15 dollars for a large bag. I use the same to pot up into, I lean more to the LC1 when the plants are larger because it is a little cheaper and I can buy it closer to home. At this time I don't feel it is worth my effort to mix my own 'Home Made" mix because I don't use that much, but I would like to know how to do it.

Larry

Bookmark   March 13, 2014 at 5:05PM
soonergrandmom

I think is kind of an accepted one by a lot of folks on GardenWeb

Tapla's 5-1-1 Mix

5 parts pine bark fines
1 part sphagnum peat
1-2 parts perlite
garden lime
controlled release fertilizer (not really necessary)
a micro-nutrient source (seaweed emulsion, Earthjuice, Micro-max, STEM, etc,)

Bookmark   March 13, 2014 at 6:02PM
soonergrandmom

I was thinking container mix. I buy starting mix.

Bookmark   March 13, 2014 at 7:36PM
winstonsblues(7b)

Bookmark   March 14, 2014 at 1:24AM
helenh(z6 SW MO)

It doesn't take much seed starting mix to plant a lot of plants. Actually I just use soil less potting mix for seed starting. This year I used Miracle Grow and a potting mix sold by a local garden center that they use to pot all their bedding plants. It is pretty fine with peat and perlite and other stuff. I think seeds are too expensive to expose to soil or cedar debris. You can make potting mix by gathering materials like soonergrandma mentioned. Finding all the parts is a chore for me. The micronutrients and how much lime have been hard for me and also tracking down pine bark fines.

Bookmark   March 14, 2014 at 1:34AM
winstonsblues(7b)

Yeah, I wouldn't want to run all over town buying different ingredients... I was just wondering about stuff I could go outside and get. If I go out shopping, I'll just buy a ready made mix.

Bookmark   March 14, 2014 at 1:53PM
More Discussions
Lisa, did you see: Work starts to protect monarch butterflies
Their bright orange and black wings are a familiar...
OklaMoni
Are there any young people that garden?
I'm 63 and just wondered if there were any young people...
pistol
Milkweed?
Does anyone have milkweed seeds they could share? I'd...
tracydr
Atwoods Seed Potato Sale $2.99/5lb 3/1/2015
2015 Atwoods Seed Potato Sale $2.99 5lb as of this...
chickencoupe
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™