Upcoming weather

wxcrawler(7a)March 10, 2013

After a cold couple of days on Monday and Tuesday, it looks like we'll have a stretch of at least 7 days of good, warm weather here in OK. And the computer models don't really show any cold weather after that out to 16 days. It's early for Tulsa, but I'm going to plant a few tomatoes in my containers on Wednesday. Yippie!!!

Lee

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Okiedawn OK Zone 7

Lee,

Yay!

Thanks for posting this, I have been watching the long-term forecast like a hawk for the last couple of weeks and have been really excited about the warm weather that starts up for us in a couple of days. I kept telling my DH that the 8-14 day temperature outlook showed us getting nice and warm, though he was focused more on the 7-day forecast. I feel like I've been waiting forever for these warm temps to get here.

I have 5 container tomato plants with fruit that I've been carrying inside in cold weather, and I have had them since the last week in January. They've been able to stay outside a surprising amount of the time.

I just moved all my 5-week-old home-grown tomato seedlings from the light shelf indoors to the greenhouse yesterday, so I could begin hardening them off. I am not in a real big hurry to put them into the ground, even though my soil temps have been roughly averaging in the mid-50s, but I do want them hardened off to outdoor conditions so that if the weather stays warm I can get them in ground sometime before the end of March.

We have some cold nights ahead tonight and tomorrow, but my greenhouse stays above freezing as long as the outdoor air doesn't drop below about 26 degrees, and I can quickly move the tomato plants to the nearby well-insulated garage if it looks like we might go significantly colder than forecast.

Last year I already was putting tomato plants in the ground by now, about 2 and 1/2 weeks ahead of my average last frost date, but the weather this year has not been nearly as warm so I'm trying to control my desire to plant like a maniac.

Dawn

Bookmark   March 10, 2013 at 2:56PM
More Discussions
Wave Pansy Giveaway
Enter through this Sunday, March 1st. 45 randomly-selected...
shankins123
Rattlesnakes Out in February: Not A Good Thing
Last week, our silver tabby cat, Casper, thought he...
Okiedawn OK Zone 7
New subjects and thread drift
I see some threads get off topic quite often. I have...
oldbusy1
milky spore
I've been reading if you get rid of grubs you won't...
sorie6
Pictures to warm us up
So far I have 20 flats- a few plants I lost to applejuice....
luvncannin
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™