Do you have a 'Wolf Eyes' Cornus Kousa?

molie(z6 CT)August 3, 2010

I'd love to hear about your experiences growing this tree because, sadly, I did a bad thing. I purchased a 'Wolf Eyes' because I fell in love at first sight. The tag said... slow growing to 6 feet.... Hmmm, I thought... what a nice foundation specimen!

So I bought it, planted it, and then I did my research. (I know... I know ... sounds like a novice gardener but, no, I've been doing this for 40 years.) I've read such conflicting reports on its eventual size, ranging from 8ft to 15ft in height and spread. Does anyone have experience growing this tree? I'd really appreciate an eyewitness account on the growth habit of 'Wolf Eyes' before I move it this fall.

Thanks,

Molie

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tree_oracle(z6b MA)

Your tree isn't likely to stay at 6 ft or smaller. I've seen them for sell at nurseries at larger than 6 ft. However, you can probably keep this smaller by pruning. This isn't a large cultivar of dogwood.

Bookmark   August 4, 2010 at 10:19AM
ego45(6bCT)

Mine is roughly 10Hx8W from 5Hx3W after 5-6 years in a ground and some spring clipping in order to reduce the width.

Bookmark   August 5, 2010 at 11:11AM
molie(z6 CT)

Thank you both for the diagnosis... looks like we'll be moving our tree. I can't believe that after all these years of gardening, I'd let a plant tag snooker me.
Molie

Bookmark   August 5, 2010 at 5:42PM
More Discussions
Open Gardens for 2015
I got a brochure in the mail from the Garden Conservancy...
NHBabs
Mason Bee House - - Where to position?
I could go to the Bee Forum, but thought I would ask...
prairiemoon2 z6 MA
Historic winter of 2014-2015---Damage report
I thought we could start a thread to outline the casualties...
rockman50
Any Block Island gardeners here?
I've never seen any postings from anyone gardening...
bill_ri_z6b
Tropical Houseplants in CT
Besides Logee's, are there any other nurseries that...
javaandjazz
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™