Thunbergia mysorensis

gardengal48August 22, 2009

I recently acquired a very healthy and heavily blooming specimen of this tender vine. Apparently it is a very vigorous evergreen species orginating from India and therefore not frost hardy. It has unique and very showy flowers of gold and maroon that supposedly attract hummingbirds and give rise to the common name of "brick and butter" vine. My new house has a sunroom and I am being tempted to grow various tender plants I couldn't manage in the light conditions of my former place. Has anyone grown this as a houseplant.....at least during the winter months? Any tips?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jean001(z8aPortland, OR)

Grew it outdoors in SoCal.

There it was an extremely vigorous vine even tough it received minimal attention.

The pendant flower clusters can be spectacular, up to 18 inches long.

The main "glitch" is that the flowers have so much nectar that they literally drip.

So, if you try it in the green house, train it so that it has room for the dangling flowers, also *not* over a pathway where you will receive a sticky "rain."

Bookmark   August 22, 2009 at 10:53PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
buyorsell888(Zone 8 Portland OR)

I've been growing Thunbergia laurifolia in my greenhouse for three years. The greenhouse was shaded much of the time before neighbor's cut down their box elder and we sold our camper. It was sluggish in winter but lived. Highly susceptible to spider mites and drying out. Wilts dramatically.

Bookmark   August 23, 2009 at 3:18PM
More Discussions
Camelia question.
We have a camelia ten years old - looked great in the...
dwightgibb
Holy aphids Batman!
With the arctic freeze moving on, I went out yesterday...
Bear999
Re:Anyone growing citrus in PNW
Hi everyone, I have an indoor tangerine plant for 4-5...
sweetflowers
what to do here?
Thinking of planting native shrubs, salal, redtwig...
zephyrgal
Anyone "wintersowing" tomatoes in the PNW?
I wintersow/spring sow everything else and have for...
nonconformist_nymphette
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™