What Will Make My Daffodils Bloom?

csdcsmith(NCOKz6b)March 16, 2007

Last couple of years I've had very few daffodil/narcissus blooms where I used to have handfuls. I assume something is missing from the soil. What do they need to beef up for more blooms next year?

(No, I don't mow them down.. . .)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Okiedawn OK Zone 7

1. How old are the bulbs? Have they been in place long enough that the clumps have grown substantially and become crowded? If so, they might need to be divided.

2. How much sun do they get? They really need full sun in order to bloom well every year.

3. Any problems with the soil? Maybe all they do need is a good bulb fertilizer. Espoma Bulb-Tone is a good one.

Those are my best guesses--need to be divided OR aren't getting enough sun OR need to be fed (or any combination of those three). I am assuming you haven't seen any sign of insect damage or foliar disease.

Dawn

Bookmark   March 16, 2007 at 3:55PM
Maryl zone 7a

Dawn makes a good point. In my experience (I don't do that many Dafs) two things stand out - overcrowding and lack of prolonged winter chill. This year it seems like we had more cold days then in the past couple of years and my dafs have bloomed better then ever. If you are having problems it may be overcrowding. I can't advise as to nutrients as in my heavy clay soil we have excess amount of the Phosphorus (the nutrient that causes lots of blooms). If you have sandy soil an analysis from your ag extension service may be helpful. Also, if the foliage emerged properly but then you got no blooms it could be that the buds were killed by (A) a late freeze or (B) drought as they were forming. With dafs at least there's always next year.

Bookmark   March 18, 2007 at 10:39PM
mulberryknob

Daffs need full sun during their growing season--Dec to June. After that they go dormant. I have hundreds of daffs under deciduous trees. But they must be divided when they get crowded. This is the most common reason for bloom decline. The best time is late May. I like to put them right back in the ground, but I have taken open boxes of dry bulbs in the house and kept them until Sept. I have also planted them by just tossing them on the ground in the woods next to our drive in early Oct and letting the falling leaves cover them. My early daffs, which normally bloom late Jan to early Feb, suffered quite a bit of bud kill this year. Too daffs don't like to be planted too deep and if for some reason the soil has filled in over the bulbs that might be a problem.

Bookmark   March 20, 2007 at 2:43AM
More Discussions
Stale seedbed
Our trial of the stale seedbed technique is on track....
johnnycoleman
earthworm compost
Does anybody know of a place in Oklahoma where I can...
sophie
Hydrangea and Azalea question
Has anyone else's hydrangeas and/or azaleas started...
tynersriver
Question on my potatoes
I planted the first week of April. They're strong and...
chickencoupe
Weed ID
(so I know I promised to never complain again, so I'm...
Lisa_H OK
Sponsored Products
Small Lotus Blossom Glass Centerpiece
$549.00 | FRONTGATE
Metal Chalkboard Pot Wall Garden
$19.99 | zulily
Sideways Vase in Cobalt Blue
$29.99 | Dot & Bo
Zephyr 42W in. Verona Island Range Hood - ZVN-E42AG
Hayneedle
Aphrodite Indoor Rug - 2' x 3'
Grandin Road
Girafiore Floor Lamp by Slamp
$961.60 | Lumens
In Full Bloom Giclee Set of Four Shades 3x6x5 (Clip-On)
$49.99 | Lamps Plus
Lady Camellia Covered Jar
The City Farm
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™