help choosing greenhouse veggies!

gartleyideasAugust 17, 2014

Hello everyone. I am about to purchase a 8x12' polycarbonate greenhouse and I am trying to figure out which veggies are best in a greenhouse in my region (coastal Vancouver Island). I don't want to run out of room realizing more need to grow in a greenhouse. It will be on a raised bed of about 8".

Definitely lots of tomatoes. We also want zucchini and cukes but i think both of those grow excellent outside (I will have raised beds). What about english cukes, will they grow in a greenhouse? Will grow some peppers but not tons.

Other veggies we really want: peas (regular and snow), beans, carrots, lettuce, radishes, turnip, spinach, squashes like butternut.

I think most of the above grow best in outdoor raised beds? What about squashes?

Fruit would be raspberries, strawberries, blueberries. Think these are all also outdoor raised beds.

Also, any veggie suggestions that do really well in a greenhouse?

Thanks tons! Can't wait to get it built, then a long wait till next year.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
larry_gene

The tomatoes and sweet peppers will benefit from a greenhouse, as would eggplant, okra, other hot climate stuff.

All the other vegetables you mention do fine outdoors; in a greenhouse they may mature or ripen faster.

Summer and winter squash take up a lot of space. There are some smaller zucchini varieties available. Cucumbers can be trained to a small or vertical area.
---------------
What kind of temperature control and air movement will your greenhouse have?

Bookmark   August 18, 2014 at 10:44PM
gartleyideas

I am planning on having 2 automatic roof vents that open/close depending on the temperature. I don't have power out there so I don't plan on running fan. There will be a door at 1 end.

Bookmark   August 19, 2014 at 12:49AM
larry_gene

OK, just checking, as that is important. Fan is not critical.

Study up on pollination requirements; tomato blossoms need disturbance to set well, most squashes need insect visits, not sure about cukes.

Bookmark   August 19, 2014 at 11:07PM
cedar_wa(z8)

Basil is something that does well in my greenhouse, but not outside. Peppers also keep going far until January in a mostly unheated greenhouse.

Bookmark   August 22, 2014 at 7:22PM
More Discussions
Shade-loving vine for Portland, OR
I recently moved into a house that doesn't have much...
bburan13
Garrya elliptica won't flower
I am in zone 8 and have had a Garrya elliptica growing...
julieotoole
One month early bolssom - Apricot
PNW (8A) Due to warm winter my 5 year old Tomcot Apricot...
Pachhu
need pruning advice for culinary sage bush
I am the new owner of 2 very old sage shrubs badly...
saxonmjs
OK to plant garlic in February in Portland, OR?
Would it make sense to plant garlic in February in...
LanaRoma
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™