Can I prune this without problems?

ellen_portland(z8 OR)August 14, 2008

I have a Tardiva Hydrangea that has a bald area. It doesn't seem to have any buds. Come the Fall- October? can I trim this down below the branch out and not have it suffer with no blooms next Spring? I wouldn't mind it being more compact and open up the window more.

I know this may sound totally stupid, but I am a real beginner when it comes to seasons and an outside garden. I would think it would be fine, I've pruned plants before, I just wondered about blooms.

The plant seems pretty happy otherwise. The site gets pretty good sun, although I do have a Petite Orchid Crape Myrtle next to it that has never bloomed- have had it three years.

Thanks for listening.

Here is a link that might be useful:

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Embothrium(USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA)

Can prune back at end of winter next year.

Bookmark   August 15, 2008 at 11:50PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gardengal48

'Tardiva' is a cultivar of Hydrangea paniculata. These flower on growth produced the current season, so pruning back - even severely - as bboy suggests in late winter will have no adverse affect on flowering. Not all hydrangeas bloom in the same manner so your requesting guidance on pruning technique and timing is well-advised :-) We were all new gardeners at some point in time and all had similar questions. It's always best to ask first rather than making guesses which could affect the health or flowering ability of the plant in question.

Bookmark   August 16, 2008 at 12:02PM
More Discussions
Shade-loving vine for Portland, OR
I recently moved into a house that doesn't have much...
bburan13
2nd annual 'Shovel Prune' plant swap (Portland area)
Just wanted remind people to start thinking about,...
duane456
Fertilizing flower bulbs (e.g., Daffodils)
I was listening to Ciscoe Morris' gardening radio show...
wynswrld98
evergreens for by gate
I have a couple of Columnar Dwarf Siberian Dogwood...
hallerlake
OK to plant garlic in February in Portland, OR?
Would it make sense to plant garlic in February in...
LanaRoma
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™