Encyclia bractescens

aachenelf z5 MplsFebruary 20, 2007

Small species from Mexico, Belize, Honduras, El Salvador. Individual flowers are around 1 ½ inches.

Entire plant. I think a lot of people grow this mounted, but I found it does well in a shallow pot with lava rock. I tried a regular sized deeper pot and it didnÂt do well since the roots seem to like spreading out near the surface.

Kevin

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
moomoos(z10 CA)

oooh... very cool.

Lovely picture of the flower.

Bookmark   February 20, 2007 at 7:13PM
judybird2014

loveeee it

Bookmark   February 20, 2007 at 7:17PM
ifraser25(z11 Brazil)

Brilliant. So how would you describe the difference between Encyclia, Anacheilum and Prostechea ?

Bookmark   February 20, 2007 at 10:30PM
olyagrove(z9 Tampa, FL)

Super cute!
Olya

Bookmark   February 21, 2007 at 11:59AM
sdahl(Near Yosemite)

I like the colors!

Sharon

Bookmark   February 21, 2007 at 12:09PM
xmpraedicta(3b Saskatoon)

Neat - how tall is the entire plant?

Bookmark   February 21, 2007 at 3:38PM
aachenelf z5 Mpls

Thanks everyone. I really love the grass-like foliage of this one.

ifraser - I won't tackle that subject.

Calvin - The whole thing with flowers is around 8 inches.

Kevin

Bookmark   February 21, 2007 at 3:49PM
carolinn_on(z3 Northern Ontario)

Great growing! If I ever try this one again, that's what I'll use-I don't do well wth mounties. Is it fragrant for you?

Carol

Bookmark   February 21, 2007 at 8:14PM
aachenelf z5 Mpls

Carol

I don't think so.

K

Bookmark   February 22, 2007 at 1:45PM
birding_nut(6)

Mine is lightly fragrant during mid-day, but you have to have your nose right against the flower to detect any fragrance.

BN

Bookmark   February 22, 2007 at 4:13PM
picotee_sofl(Z10)

Well done, Kevin. It looks great.

Bookmark   February 23, 2007 at 9:11AM

sorry to pull up an old thread but I just had to share that I finally got one of these puppies today at the royal botanical gardens orchid show...ever since kev's pic i've had this little seed of desire planted in my mind...then last month I saw a glorious one in RL at a show and I had to get it....and today, I found one for 20 bucks! A vendor had it...it was part of a fresh shipment of chids in from mexico (really awesome species epidendrum/encyclias, some laelias...most priced beyond my spending range - $30+)

I also got a coel. cristata for 8 dollars...and I *saw* a catt luteola which is also on the wish list big time...but I exercised some restraint...

Bookmark   March 9, 2008 at 4:19PM
aachenelf z5 Mpls

Calvin

I think you'll really like this one. I was just looking over the plants and admiring this one again. It's in bloom right now with 4 spikes. There's just something very graceful and unassuming about the whole plant.

PS - I can't emphasize the lava rock enough for this one unless you want to grow it mounted. It's done so much better than it ever did in a regular pot with regular old bark mix.

Bookmark   March 9, 2008 at 5:09PM
paul_(z5 MI)

Looks great, Kev! (Though it does bring back sad memories mine's demise .......)

Received one from a friend whom I have since lost contact with. I killed it I'm afraid. I was trying to grow it in regular media. From what you've said -- that was likely my problem. (& its such a culte lil thaing too -- just my size

Bookmark   March 9, 2008 at 6:56PM

Thanks for the tip - I'm assuming high light? Lucky I didn't shove it into sphag like I do with everything else. I want to put this in the orchid tank I'm planning - in your experience, do you think the high humidity is a pro or a con?

Bookmark   March 9, 2008 at 7:00PM
aachenelf z5 Mpls

Yup - high light. Humidity doesn't seem to be an issue for this one. Mine really hasn't been that high this winter, but I have a feeling it would do well in your tank.

Paul

The problem I found with trying to grow this one in a pot is the roots really like to spread out on the surface of the medium. Any of the ones that went down into it rotted. Luckily I discovered the problem early and moved the plant to what its in now.

Bookmark   March 9, 2008 at 7:19PM
Sheila(8b SW Texas)

I'm glad this thread re-surfaced. I missed it the first time around. Kev, I will look for this plant and give it a try. Post us a pic of your plant, it sounds gorgeous. How tall is it now? Compact growers is my mantra now, no room for more space hogs.

Sheila :)

Bookmark   March 10, 2008 at 9:54AM
aachenelf z5 Mpls

Sheila

Here's a quickie pic of the plant today - about a year since the first pic in this thread. The tallest leaf is around 7 inches. I noticed H&R has a FS in a 2 inch pot for $5. I think that's where I originally got mine and as I remember it was crawling out of it's pot at the time. They have some of the best deals in the $5-7 range. Also noticed that Oak Hill has one for $15.

Bookmark   March 10, 2008 at 12:51PM

Oh no...I am such an idiot - I just realized that I had enc. bractescens on my H&R order list (which I've already sent out)!! Cr*p -_-;

Bookmark   March 10, 2008 at 1:25PM
clintdawley(z8 TX)

Very nicely grown, Kev...

This one looks like a total Kev plant as well. Nice and small...yet interesting!

Bookmark   March 10, 2008 at 1:53PM
Charm(Z8 TX)

Your plant looks very happy! I also grow mine like you do. I grow nearly all of my potted orchids in lava rock. I am glad the thread was brought back up.~Charm

Bookmark   March 10, 2008 at 7:09PM
Sheila(8b SW Texas)

Kev, that's beautiful. Good growing!!!

Sheila )

Bookmark   March 11, 2008 at 9:05AM
More Discussions
Id for this Paph please
I bought this at a silent auction basically as a NOID....
orchidnick
Dendrobium Superbum
This is the first blooms for this young plant. One...
shavedmonkey (Harvey in South Fl.)Z10b
The Epi. radicans are coming.
A no name. If you happen to know the name please provide....
shavedmonkey (Harvey in South Fl.)Z10b
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™