Which Plum Variety?

nicholerh(8b)September 20, 2011

Hi there. We are going to be getting a plum tree for our yard and was wondering what variety you all would recommend? I live in Seattle, we're looking for a European variety, 8-12 feet tall with maturity, and I'd like beauty as well as flavor. If you were in my shoes, what would your short list be?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Embothrium(USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA)

'Italian' is the standard variety. But 8'-12' is pretty small for any plum tree.

Bookmark   September 20, 2011 at 11:17AM
boizeau(7a)

If you want to make a good jam, I'd go with damson plum. They are a bit tannic fresh though.
you're smart to choose European over Asian Plums- much better in our region and less prone to brown rot.

Bookmark   October 21, 2011 at 7:44PM

Yields rather light and intermittent on a Damson being grown on a Seattle site.

Bookmark   October 22, 2011 at 2:45PM
tallclover(Zone 8 Maritime Pacific NW)

French prune or Imperial Epineuse is a great plum, rich flavor, reddish purple skin, and a gorgeous tree that stays manageable and small around ten feet. I grew it my SEattle yard and always had plums and something pretty to look at.

Bookmark   October 29, 2011 at 10:57AM
nicholerh(8b)

Thanks tallclover. I think I may go with that one. I had chosen Seneca but I think I'll put it on my dad's 5 acres since he has room to play around with a tree that may or may not fruit. Imperial Epinuse sounds like a winner. Thanks again.

Bookmark   May 28, 2012 at 2:07PM
briergardener_gw

What about pollinizer for Imperial Epineuse?
Tallclover, do you have one tree or you have some other for pollinizer?

Bookmark   May 28, 2012 at 9:55PM
nicholerh(8b)

My neighbor has an Italian Plum so I'm good for pollination. Seattle is filled with Italian plums.

Bookmark   May 29, 2012 at 9:40AM
niroha

Well it took me a while but I finally got my imperial epineuse plum tree from Raintree today. Tiny little bareroot tree! Put it in the ground just in time for a light Seattle rain.

Thanks for the help. It'll be a few years before I see fruit (it's maybe 3-4 feet tall once planted) but I'm sure it'll be worth the wait.

Bookmark   April 4, 2013 at 10:18PM
Merilia(8 PNW)

I guess this is a bit late, but I've got a Stanley plum grafted onto dwarfing rootstock that's the height you're looking for. I presume you can do the same thing with other cultivars to keep them small.

Bookmark   April 6, 2013 at 8:10PM
CathyJ(USDA-8 West WA)

Mirabelle or Mirabelle de Metz, a very old French variety. While the fruit is small, it is abundant. Pretty, too: yellow, with small red spots. Best-flavored plum I have ever eaten. Raintree currently carries de Metz.

Bookmark   April 19, 2013 at 9:22PM
nw_gardener(8 (WA/Kirkland))

I know you said you are looking for a European variety, but if you are just looking for a plum that tastes good and stays small(er) I can recommend the variety "Hollywood".

It is a Japanese plum with leaves and flowers very much like the Thundercloud ornamental variety and has excellent sweet reddish fruits that ripen in September. I bought mine from the Hartmann nursery around 3 years ago and the tree is about 7 feet tall now and shows all signs of staying compact.

Here is a picture from the Hartmann nursery showing what the fruit and leaves look like:

http://www.hartmansfruitphotos.com/Trees/Plums/9331147_Xk5VLh#!i=624020915&k=DNFTc2H

I find that the leaves and fruit on my tree are redder than in the picture.

Bookmark   April 20, 2013 at 7:49PM

You are actually talking about 'Spencer Hollywood', a different kind from 'Hollywood'. 'Spencer Hollywood' is the "Hollywood" of general commerce at this time.

For an article on this cultivar from the world authority on purple-leaved plums ....

Here is a link that might be useful: Spencer Hollywood' Plum; Prunus 'Spencer Hollywood'

This post was edited by bboy on Mon, Apr 22, 13 at 1:14

Bookmark   April 22, 2013 at 12:45AM
More Discussions
Aspirin and fig rust
Recently, I visited my brother in Thailand and he has...
winsorw
August Bloomers
We have a family reunion planned for our house in mid...
mcsix
Portland Yard Garden & Patio Show
Did anyone here ever attend that show and could give...
enith
Camelia question.
We have a camelia ten years old - looked great in the...
dwightgibb
Shade-loving vine for Portland, OR
I recently moved into a house that doesn't have much...
bburan13
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™