terrene's mole repellent

franeli(z4 NH)August 22, 2013

Many of my perennials were DOA this spring probably due to severe mole and vole damage during the summers of 2011 and 2012.
When moles started tunneling a few weeks ago,I did a 'search' and found that terrene had success using castor oil and human urine around plants as a deterrent.
I used this treatment a few weeks ago along the mole tunnel system and it continues to work!
Many thanks for this great idea!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
NHBabs(4b-5aNH)

I am finding that Terrene's remedy works better than castor oil alone, which I used last year, and both are better than nothing, though don't seem to totally get rid of the voles.

Here's the formula:
1 tablespoon castor oil and 1 cup human urine per gallon of water.

Thanks, Terrene, for sharing this.

Bookmark   August 22, 2013 at 7:06PM
dfaustclancy

My husband will be happy to hear of this "repellent" LOL and will want to know if straight urine does the trick also!

Bookmark   August 31, 2013 at 10:30AM
terrene(5b MA)

Hi guys, I just saw this thread. This isn't my repellent though, credit is due to the Hosta forum (can't remember exactly where I read it). Also learned about the 12.5% ammonia or vinegar solution for slugs on the Hosta forum (I can vouch that the ammonia works great). Apparently there are many critters and pests that love Hostas! I just love the fact that these solutions are 100% organic and cause no harm to the plants (and hopefully to beneficial critters).

The castor oil repellent saved many perennials and whatever few remaining bulbs in my front garden from certain demise. Saved the last 2 native Wild Hyacinth I started from seed, which take several years to bloom, from becoming vole food!!

I like to make it a little strong, maybe 1-2 TBS castor oil and 2 cups of urine in per gallon. I think the castor oil makes the roots and soil around the roots distasteful to the voles, it is very sticky and lasts for 2-3 months. Not sure what the urine does, perhaps the smell repels them also, if so male urine is likely stronger. Also it's a great nitrogen-rich fertilizer.

This post was edited by terrene on Fri, Sep 6, 13 at 5:52

Bookmark   September 5, 2013 at 10:57PM
terrene(5b MA)

PS. Remember to agitate well when applying, the castor oil is so sticky! I have one old watering can dedicated to this now, since the castor oil sticks to the inside of the can for several months, and I make sure not to use this one to fill the bird baths.

Bookmark   September 5, 2013 at 11:05PM
franeli(z4 NH)

Thanks again for posting this solution,terrene!

I only treated the tunnels, no plants were involved. I used only urine(about 1 quart) then added several tbs of the castor oil (kept the solution stirred). This was poured along all tunnels leading into my perennial border. I repeated this the next day just to be sure!
It has continued to work!

Bookmark   September 6, 2013 at 8:42AM
pixie_lou

I wonder if this would work on the ground hog tunnels.

Bookmark   September 6, 2013 at 12:36PM
terrene(5b MA)

I don't know about ground hogs, but that would be an interesting experiment, to pour some down a groundhog hole...

I sprinkle the solution all around the roots of the perennials I'm trying to protect. Not directly on the foliage, but in the root zones. I'm sure a little gets on the foliage, but either way it doesn't seem to bother the plants at all.

Bookmark   September 7, 2013 at 12:57AM
More Discussions
Any Block Island gardeners here?
I've never seen any postings from anyone gardening...
bill_ri_z6b
What Trees in Your Yard Look Prettiest Now?
We tend to fixate on Spring blooms. What trees in your...
edlincoln
when do your daffodils bloom?
When do your daffodils bloom? I can't wait for them...
daffodil33
Birds and other mobile features in the garden 2015 #2
This thread is intended to give people a place to post...
claireplymouth z6b coastal MA
Hummingbird Spring Migration 2015
I've been checking regularly and finally today there...
claireplymouth z6b coastal MA
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™