UMass Extension Landscape Message August 23, 2013

claireplymouth z6b coastal MAAugust 25, 2013

UMass Extension Landscape Message August 23, 2013

"Japanese knotweed is just beginning to flower, or will flower soon, and now is the time to manage this invasive plant. Use a 2% spray solution of glyphosate sprayed to the initiation of spray drip. Do not use herbicide formulations that contain diquat (RewardTM) or tank-mix pelargonic acid (ScytheTM) with the glyphosate. Diquat and pelagonic acid are contact herbicides and have the potential to decrease the efficacy of glyphosate. In areas near water, a formulation of glyphosate that is labeled for theses areas should be used. Non-chemical products containing clove oil, citric acid, acetic acid or orange extract will not effectively control Japanese knotweed."

And from the Cape Cod Region report:

"Crepe Myrtle, an unusual large shrub/small tree for the Cape, is in full bloom. There are hardy cultivars of this more Southern ornamental that should be planted more often here to provide late summer color."

Claire

This post was edited by claire on Sun, Aug 25, 13 at 10:46

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Daria1961

I'm working with a project to bring sheep back to Franklin Park in Boston to eat the knotweed. I hate knotweed.

Bookmark   September 5, 2013 at 8:59PM
claireplymouth z6b coastal MA

Daria1961: I hope it works in Franklin Park. Is there a historical precedent? Did sheep used to graze there?

Sheep and goats are wonderful herbicides (although it's sometimes hard to get them to stop after they've eaten the bad stuff).

Claire

Bookmark   September 6, 2013 at 9:30AM
pixie_lou

I saw a bunch of crape myrtles for sale at Home Depot in Framingham (or is that Natick?) yesterday. Are they hardy this far north? Or just on the cape/south coast?

Bookmark   September 6, 2013 at 12:41PM
More Discussions
2015 Seeds & Plants on Sale, Locally? Online Catalog Sales?
I am starting a new sale thread for 2015 so it will...
NHBabs
Seaweed as mulch
I am thinking of using seaweed as mulch or add to my...
dwyerkg
How to change houzz background
I just saw this on another forum: http://forums2.gardenweb.com/discussions/2854079/installing-stylish-to-change-houzz-background#14392444 It...
claireplymouth z6b coastal MA
Philadelphia Flower Show photos
Stoney Bank Nurseries / The perspective here is phenomenal:...
hunt4carl
Seeds & Plants on Sale, Locally? Online Catalog Sales?
Finally starting to feel like the growing season is...
prairiemoon2 z6 MA
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™