Here's hoping I did this right
They really need to go in the ground as they are getting leggy. Hope they don't freeze out.
Dorothy, I think they look good. I started soaking some Sugar Snaps today. I had not planned on planting any but my neighbor brought me the seeds today, along with some celery seeds, so I will give them my best and see what happens. I also plant the last of my potatoes today.
Mine are about the same size as yours. Since they've been growing inside the greenhouse under 50% shade cloth, I'm in the middle of hardening them off so I can transplant them out into full sun. They can go into the ground any day now. It might have been today...but we fought fire until long after dark and I didn't get to work in the garden at all this afternoon.
I'm going to go ahead and transplant them as soon as I can...maybe the day after tomorrow. Not tomorrow for sure because I am fairly certain we'll have fires again, and I don't want to transplant any cool-season plant on a hot and windy 80-degree day. It should be nice and cool on Tuesday or Wednesday.
I'm not convinced the cold weather is done with us yet, but I think that the temperatures below 25 degrees may be over with for this year. If not, I've got row cover.
Is it early? A little, based on what we know happens on an occasional very cold night, but I don't want to wait any longer. I'm afraid we'll heat up too much in April or May like we have the last two years.
That was my thinking too, but the last week it's been very cold and wet here and the ground is muddy. But they have to go in. Mine have been in the greenhouse without any shade cloth, so into the garden they go. My main concern is that they are so leggy this year because it was cloudy the first few days after they came up. I had them under lights, but...not as good as sunlight as we all know.
I have tried to move mine out the proper way to harden then off, but then we get busy and have fires or something for a couple of days and it messes up my routine. Today I didn't even bother taking them out of the greenhouse because fire pagers in our county started going off around 8 or 9 am and it was all I could do to get the animals fed and the plants watered.There are quite a few fires burning on both sides of the Red River today, and some of them are quite big.
If I get to stay home and work in the garden tomorrow, I'm going to try to get the peas in the ground before they lose the hardening off I had done. My tomato plants were outside in the greenhouse early and looked great. I had to move them back in when last week's cold front that threatened snow came in, and the plants have missed the sunlight and are getting leggy on the light shelf. There's not much I can do as a cold front is arriving here late this afternoon and we'll have some really cold nights for a few days. I'm going to have to put up with having leggy tomato plants until the nights are a bit warmer and I can leave them out in the greenhouse.
It is hard to get the timing right this year with the roller coaster of temperatures we're having. Our high temp today was 83, but by tomorrow night our low temp will be in the upper 20s or lower 30s. It is hard to decide when to plant........and every time I plan a workday in the garden, we have a fire or something that interferes. Maybe I should stop planning because it seems to jinx my plans.
Went ahead and put the peas into the ground on Monday and then regretted it on Tuesday when the forecast said mid20s--and it got down there,. I wish I had waited until this morn, but I think they are going to survive. Have more coming to plant in a week or two but would hate to have damaged the first planting.