Am I asking for trouble????

seattlegardenerSeptember 10, 2012

In an effort to get more growth earlier next year from my Elephant Ears, Caladium, Calla Lilies and Canna (all grown in pots), I'm wondering if the following idea would work....I'm thinking of covering my picnic table with clear plastic and tipping the pots on their sides, then anchoring the plastic so it won't blow off. Given our relatively mild winter here in Seattle, I'm hopin this would give them a head start in the spring rather than having to take time to put down roots again. Any thoughts? An alternative would be to place them in a deep, wide window well and covering that with plastic, slanting it so rain wouldn't collect on top of the plastic.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Embothrium(USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA)

I wouldn't count on that to keep them from freezing. For options maybe try Googling "overwintering" with name of each plant after, one by one.

Bookmark   September 10, 2012 at 5:09PM
dottyinduncan(z8b coastal BC)

I don't think the picnic table is a good idea. There won't be enough air circulating and you will get mould. I overwinter plants in a smallish greenhouse, but I have a fan going 24/7 and the air stays sweet. If it is going to be below freezing I can put the electric heater on. I think air movement is crucial to keeping plants from rotting off, especially in cold weather. But, I still lose some.

Bookmark   September 10, 2012 at 5:26PM
gardengal48

Since these are all tuberous summer bulbs that produce growth in response to warm soils, you are already ahead of the game by growing them in containers! Container soils warm up far faster than inground soils.

I would not risk the bulbs by keeping them outside - even in a "mild" winter, that's pushing the envelop a bit. Store them in a cool basement, garage or shed. As soon as the evening temperatures start warming up in spring and below freezing nights rare (mid to late March?), bring them back outside and locate where they will receive plenty of sun and any reflected heat.

I did this with both dahlias and cannas for years and the containered plants always started producing new growth very early and were weeks ahead of any inground planted equivalents.

Bookmark   September 11, 2012 at 2:46PM
More Discussions
overgrown everything! eek!
I just moved into a place that has not been taken care...
wolfewindflower
Good Cover Crop... Now What?
We have had a mild winter here in the PNW and the cover...
lonmower
What seeds r u planting now this early warm spring?
My arugula is up fine but carrots havent germinated...
maroqw
soil stablization
I live in the mountains of southern oregon where it...
Shaun Brink
Is it time to prune?
With the warm winter we are having, everything seems...
duncandotty
Sponsored Products
Grand Central Oil Rubbed Bronze One Light Mini Pendant with 7.5-Inch Antique Mer
$164.00 | Bellacor
Leopard-Print iPhone 5 Case - LEOPARD
$168.00 | Horchow
Modern Sphere Curve Cascading 39 1/2" High Fountain
Lamps Plus
Belize Memory Foam Bath Rug
$59.50 | FRONTGATE
Joy Carpets Mythical Kingdom Kids Area Rug - 56-B
$129.99 | Hayneedle
Texas A&M Aggies Woven Baby Throw
$17.99 | zulily
Safavieh Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Safavieh Rugs Paradise Ivory 5 ft. 3 in. x 7