Texas lilac/Chaste tree

c1nicolei(7)March 30, 2014

I purchased a chaste tree from TLC about 2 years ago (for a pretty penny) and have had several self propagate around my property. I however have had little luck with trying to start seeds "intentionally". I was wondering if I am missing a trick with germination that mother nature has taken care of. Please share any suggestions if you have had luck with this plant. I absolutely love all the hummingbirds, butterflies and bumble bees this plant attracts! Last year during Monarch migration there were literally hundreds on my large bushes! I eventually would love to have about 20 along my creek area. IF anyone wants seeds I have hundreds to share. Hope you all have the spring bug like I do. This weekend was a perfect time to get out and get everything ready to GROW! :) Happy gardening.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Lisa_H(7)

I would keep scattering seed. I will also them i found one much more reasonably priced at Home Depot after spending a very pretty penny at a nursery :) I bought it too! So now I have three. I love them.

Bookmark   March 30, 2014 at 7:58PM
Okiedawn OK Zone 7

I don't know that you're doing anything wrong. After you gather the seed and before you sow it, float the seed in a bowl of water for 24 hours. Discard the ones that float to the top, because they aren't any good. Sow the good seeds in flats or small pots in a good soil-less mix. Keep the mix evenly moist but not sopping wet and not dry. If you keep the plants indoors in room temperatures of 70-75, the seeds will sprout in about 2 weeks. It could take a long as 4 weeks.

Seed of vitex agnus-castus doesn't have a dormancy period, and doesn't have any special stratification needs, so you shouldn't have any trouble getting them to sprout. When I grew them from seed, they sprouted pretty quickly.

I love chaste tree and have one right outside my kitchen window.

Dawn

Bookmark   March 30, 2014 at 9:44PM
macmex

I started about six last year, doing just like Dawn described. Unfortunately...grasshoppers hit, after I had transplanted them outside. They were gone in two days. :(

George
Tahlequah, OK

Bookmark   March 31, 2014 at 7:16AM
miraje(7a)

George, was that from the vitex seed I sent you? Let me know if you want more and I can try to save some more of the seeds after they bloom. I think I still have your address in my email. I'm happy to hear that they sprouted at least!

Heather

Bookmark   March 31, 2014 at 3:11PM
macmex

Yes Heather, they were from your seed. Yes! I'd love to try again!

George

Bookmark   March 31, 2014 at 4:47PM
LaciRai

I would LOVE to try and grow them from seed. My email is lacirai@gmail.com

Bookmark   March 31, 2014 at 9:22PM
More Discussions
Pictures to warm us up
So far I have 20 flats- a few plants I lost to applejuice....
luvncannin
Growing cilantro in the summer
I started some cilantro from seed so I can have it...
Cynthiann
Can I plant onions yet?
I put in an 8x8 raised bed for onions, bought in some...
rickintulsa
2015 Spring Fling Anyone?
It must be so. I've reserved a porta-potty and marked...
p_mac
Sweet pepper list
I started my sweet pepper seeds today and here is my...
oldbusy1
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™