Texas lilac/Chaste tree

c1nicoleiMarch 30, 2014

I purchased a chaste tree from TLC about 2 years ago (for a pretty penny) and have had several self propagate around my property. I however have had little luck with trying to start seeds "intentionally". I was wondering if I am missing a trick with germination that mother nature has taken care of. Please share any suggestions if you have had luck with this plant. I absolutely love all the hummingbirds, butterflies and bumble bees this plant attracts! Last year during Monarch migration there were literally hundreds on my large bushes! I eventually would love to have about 20 along my creek area. IF anyone wants seeds I have hundreds to share. Hope you all have the spring bug like I do. This weekend was a perfect time to get out and get everything ready to GROW! :) Happy gardening.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Lisa_H OK(7)

I would keep scattering seed. I will also them i found one much more reasonably priced at Home Depot after spending a very pretty penny at a nursery :) I bought it too! So now I have three. I love them.

Bookmark   March 30, 2014 at 7:58PM
Okiedawn OK Zone 7

I don't know that you're doing anything wrong. After you gather the seed and before you sow it, float the seed in a bowl of water for 24 hours. Discard the ones that float to the top, because they aren't any good. Sow the good seeds in flats or small pots in a good soil-less mix. Keep the mix evenly moist but not sopping wet and not dry. If you keep the plants indoors in room temperatures of 70-75, the seeds will sprout in about 2 weeks. It could take a long as 4 weeks.

Seed of vitex agnus-castus doesn't have a dormancy period, and doesn't have any special stratification needs, so you shouldn't have any trouble getting them to sprout. When I grew them from seed, they sprouted pretty quickly.

I love chaste tree and have one right outside my kitchen window.

Dawn

Bookmark   March 30, 2014 at 9:44PM
macmex

I started about six last year, doing just like Dawn described. Unfortunately...grasshoppers hit, after I had transplanted them outside. They were gone in two days. :(

George
Tahlequah, OK

Bookmark   March 31, 2014 at 7:16AM
miraje(7a)

George, was that from the vitex seed I sent you? Let me know if you want more and I can try to save some more of the seeds after they bloom. I think I still have your address in my email. I'm happy to hear that they sprouted at least!

Heather

Bookmark   March 31, 2014 at 3:11PM
macmex

Yes Heather, they were from your seed. Yes! I'd love to try again!

George

Bookmark   March 31, 2014 at 4:47PM
LaciRai

I would LOVE to try and grow them from seed. My email is lacirai@gmail.com

Bookmark   March 31, 2014 at 9:22PM
More Discussions
check in, all ok? sure was windy and lots of hail
All quiet here now, near NW 14 and Villa. Sure hope,...
OklaMoni
Onion question...
I haven't been on here in awhile....I couldn't sign...
ilovetoplant
First post
This is my first try at posting. Did it work
stockergal
Tomatoes in Oklahoma: Part I, Varieties/Types
We've been discussing several tomato-related topics...
Okiedawn OK Zone 7
My Onions Are IN, now about snakes...
Thank you, Ms Dawn. Sorry for the late reply to your...
luvabasil1
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™